How did you guys study?

JMU07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I plan on taking the OAT sometime next spring/summer. Now that it's getting close, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed at all of the information that I need to study.. How did you all manage to study for the OAT while taking classes? I usually have a full load (17-18 credit hours a semester) so I'm thinking of bringing it down to 12 or 13 in the spring so I'll have more time to dedicate to OAT studying.

What were the strategies that worked best for you? Did you invest in the Kaplan courses, or use the OAT/MCAT books, flashcards, etc.

Thanks!
Jessica

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I plan on taking the OAT sometime next spring/summer. Now that it's getting close, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed at all of the information that I need to study.. How did you all manage to study for the OAT while taking classes? I usually have a full load (17-18 credit hours a semester) so I'm thinking of bringing it down to 12 or 13 in the spring so I'll have more time to dedicate to OAT studying.

What were the strategies that worked best for you? Did you invest in the Kaplan courses, or use the OAT/MCAT books, flashcards, etc.

Thanks!
Jessica

Check out my take on the Kaplan Course here:
http://www.optstudent.com/ugfocus.html#acadoat

Scroll down to "Studying for the OAT"

I think bringing your units for spring semester would help a lot. Studying for the OATs will take up a lot of your time.
I took a Kaplan OAT course over the summer this year, but I also had a summer class and some other stuff going on at the same time. I personally think the Kaplan full-length tests were pretty helpful in preparing me for the actual OAT (I just took it yesterday).
These are the things I studied from:
1. Kaplan OAT Review Notes (it condensed the relevant material very well)
2. Kaplan Flashcards (Good for reinforcing key concepts a couple of weeks before your actual test and maybe during your breaks between classes)
3. MCAT Examkrackers (I borrowed these from my PreMed roommate and I particularly liked the Biology Examkracker since it emphasized certain topics better than Kaplan did)

I also made notes/own flashcards out of the problems I missed/not sure of from the practice full-length tests I took.

That's all for now haha. I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have further questions! Good luck.