How did you improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets start this post for those of us who did pretty crappy. Those that did pretty bad the first time, would you please post how much you improved after you retook it and what you did it improve.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This was my third time taking it.

First time with Kaplan....did crappy (not enough time to study and didn't have all of the required classes).

Second time on my own but with Kaplan books...improved 2 pts. with no acceptance.

Third time with Kaplan....studied my butt off and improved 3 more pts. and hoping to get in this year. (my verbal went down 2 pts. and physical sciences 1 pt. from my Kaplan average :( )

On my april MCAT I got a lowly 22 7V, 8P ,7B. Thats with a commercial prep course but in all fairness I didn't put the time and effort in I should have. Over the summer I used materials from a diff prep course and studied on my own. I got a 27 10V, 9P, 8B. Got a little burnt out at the end (probably because of lack of sleep). One section away from greatness:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
One word: Examkrackers

They are the bomb. I raised my scores 4 points when using them in comparison to Kaplan.

Originally posted by Commodore2

They are the bomb. I raised my scores 4 points when using them in comparison to Kaplan.

Am I reading this correctly? Because this is what I got from what you said: You took the MCAT 3 times - after the first you took Kaplan and, presumably, did not improve much. After the second time, you used EK and improved 4 more points than you did with Kaplan. Is this the case, or did you just throw in the part about Kaplan for good measure? Did you really take the Kaplan class or use Kaplan study material?

I took the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 27 (10V 9P 8B). I had taken the Kaplan course but was also trying to take O chem over the same summer that I was trying to study for the MCAT...I think that was at least part of the mistake. Anyway, I took the MCAT again this August and got a 33 (11V 11P 11B). I think that other than the Ochem my main problem was not that I didnt study enough the first time, but that I didnt study the right way. Instead of taking Kaplan (which is SOOO expensive and takes up SOOOO much time) just get ahold of the Kaplan books. Also, I totally recommend Princeton Review materials. The most important thing I found was that you just need to take practice test after practice test. Don't spend much time reading the material...just find practice tests with explanations for the answers and you will end up learning just the stuff you didnt know. Also, for me at least I think it is easier to take the August MCAT because, if you are like me and are taking too many credits and are insanely involved in random campus organizations, you will find that you have much more time to study! Good luck!:)

SouthernGirl

What I meant was that I took the kaplan course my first time and scored a bad score. Then i used examkrackers and raised my score 4 points. I attribute my raised score to examkrackers books and study guides, and not kaplan's classes.

I took the MCAT last August without studying for it. I simply relied on the fact that it had only been 1-2 years since I had the material. I ended up with a v9 ps8 bs8. I didn't realize how much emphasis is really put on the MCAT, but quickly found out so I decided to take it again this August.

I took the Kaplan course (which I didn't think was all that helpful), simply buy the books and the practice tests, and take as many practice tests as you can.

I ended up dropping a point in my verbal to 8 (which I actually thought I got a 6-7 on right after the test) was getting 8-10 on verbal in Kaplan course.

I gained 2 points in physical science (10) simply because I actually studied the materials. Studying the materials and formulas definitely helps. Was getting 9-10 on Kaplan tests.

And I gained 1 point in bio (9). I think that went up because I had taken biochemistry and genetics after the first MCAT. Was getting 9-10 on Kaplan tests.

I knew I wasn't one of those 30pt guys/gals so I am pleased with my improvement, and hopefully my experiences may help those of you who are about to go through the same thing. Just remember the MCAT is just another hoop to jump through on the road to medical school, and take it serious, even if you have a 3.9. This will be my first year applying so we'll see if 27 is good enough with a 3.9.

In the end I would not recommend shelling out the 1200 dollars for Kaplan. Instead shell out 60-70 for their review book at barnes and noble, and order the AAMC tests online (not sure what they cost). So instead of 1200, you pay about 100 and get the same sort of production.

Just my 2cents

Originally posted by Commodore2

I agree, I studied with examkrackers for only 3 weeks the second time around and raised my score 4 points!