How did you know you actually want to be a DVM/VMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gina Lawson

Reaction score
Non-trad student struggling with this giant life decision. Major imposter syndrome. I think this is what I want but have so many fears it makes it hard to know if the doubts are simply the fear creeping in. Any advice on sorting through the mess in my brain?

Members don't see this ad.

Generic statement: could you see yourself doing something else for less money and similar income and helping animals on the side as a hobby? This is a lot of debt for a relatively low amount of money. There are human nurses that make more than I do. Likewise, it can be stressful/emotionally taxing compared to other jobs with similar income.

As to your specific situation, we'd need to know more about you and what's going on.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it is good to have experience in other career fields too. I have several friends who were always dead set on being vets and have now switched fields after working as Veterinary Technicians for several years( three of which are RNs now).I know for me that I have worked in several different career fields. I currently work in human medicine too as a hospital administrator- the grass is not always greener on the other side. I have also worked in vet med for quite some time in both GP & ER. A few of my Veterinarian friends have tried to persuade me into the human medical field. However, I have been working in that field in multiple speciality areas for several years, and I know it’s not for me. I do see the importance of One Health, and there are many things I like about my current career. My current job is a stepping point in my career and pertinent to veterinary medicine- but it’s not my forever career . I think it would be valuable to explore what you like about veterinary medicine? Do you have a family/ personal vet you can really talk to? Have you worked in a different field completely unrelated to vet med? Have you worked in vet med/ with animals in different settings? There are so many different career paths veterinary medicine can take you. One of my good friends is a Medical Director at a large ER vet clinic. She also likes to be busy and works GP & for our local shelter. She has a MPH, and doesn’t have much interest in public health, but she likes that her experience can vary. She had no veterinary experience when she was accepted to vet school- if anyone can believe that. I have two friends who started vet school, and they did not finish one semester before dropping out. One has only ever worked with animals/ vet med. The other one had varied experiences. They were both dead set on vet med, and finally decided it wasn’t for them. I would get as much varied experience as possible and research different careers in veterinary medicine. If you can’t imagine doing anything else afterwards, continue to pursue this field, but have a back up plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Non-trad student struggling with this giant life decision. Major imposter syndrome. I think this is what I want but have so many fears it makes it hard to know if the doubts are simply the fear creeping in. Any advice on sorting through the mess in my brain?
I'm a credentialed veterinary technician with a BS, MBA, and 17 years I'm the field. My current license will never allow me to utilize my brain and skill set in a manner that will provide fulfillment despite various roles in leadership, mentorship, and teaching. I feel like I am meant to do this but have trouble articulating a concise and distinct "why" that I think will be strong enough to earn acceptance to a school. I recognize that I currently have a low to modest salary with a small amount of debt and nothing upon which to retire, and I'd be trading this for a mountain of debt, increased earning potential, and likely still not much for retirement!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a credentialed veterinary technician with a BS, MBA, and 17 years I'm the field. My current license will never allow me to utilize my brain and skill set in a manner that will provide fulfillment despite various roles in leadership, mentorship, and teaching. I feel like I am meant to do this but have trouble articulating a concise and distinct "why" that I think will be strong enough to earn acceptance to a school. I recognize that I currently have a low to modest salary with a small amount of debt and nothing upon which to retire, and I'd be trading this for a mountain of debt, increased earning potential, and likely still not much for retirement!

You should do it. I worked at a cat shelter for 3 years and have been an assistant for maybe the same and was just accepted. What you articulated is valued. Being the one who makes the decisions and does the investigations is a legitimate reason to become a vet. A friend told me once, you're going to be 50 either way. You might as well be 50 and living your dream.

Reactions: 1 users