1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How did you know....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Gutierrez001, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Gutierrez001

Gutierrez001 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi
    Wondering what first made all of you think about becoming a doctor?

:D My was when I was in EMT school(wanted to be a firefighter) and we got called to a car crash in the middle of nowhere, And this spainish guy run over by a car and he had no pulse and had being bleeding everything for about 5-10 min. . I did CPR on him for what felt like forever and he passed away.I wish that i could have done more and then right there i knew i wanted to be a doctor.

WHATS EVERYONE ELSE STORY?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a long story but the exact moment that I knew this is what I wanted to do was when I was doing ride time for my Paramedic training. I responded to a pedistrian vs car the weekend that Men in Black opened up (cause that was the movie they were leaving on a Friday).

What had happened was this lady and her husband were walking across the street and a car came by running over the woman and then drove off. When I arrived at the scene it was a mess. The woman was on the ground and her husband was with an officer at the side of the road still clutching her hair I guess got ripped out when she got hit. To make matter worse he was severly ******ed and wasn't comprehending the situation well.

I was running the call and she had femur fractures, Possible hip/pelvic fractures, obvious humerus fractures, along with possible spinal issues. So we boarded her and splinted the best we could. She had a low BP so I dropped two large bore IV in her and thats when it hit me for sure. I was a 21 y/o that was completely bloody from head to toe and I knew bad things happened to good people. I liked and I wanted to care for these people. We got the woman to Albany Medical Center and I stayed a bit to see her husband and to make sure things were cool. An after effect, weeks later she did end up getting out of the hospital and survived, though she needed PT big time.

I was already thinking of medicine when this happened due to my hospital rotations (especially NICU/PICU) and this was just the moment that pushed me through. I was always more intrested in the medicine portion of EMS than the trauma junky type.

How I ate my words after that cause I was that jerk in school that made fun of my friends having to take physics and organic....little did I know.......

4. Dr.ImCute

Dr.ImCute Member
    5+ Year Member

My mom is OBgyn, and when I was a kid I would flip through my mom's science books... I was always facinated with the material.

I still remember a picture of the human body on clear slides (like overhead lecture type) in one of the books. Each slide had a different system (musclular, endocrine, nervous, etc.) and all of them would overlap when you put them together... I THOUGHT IT WAS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!! :laugh:

5. simtech

simtech Member
    7+ Year Member

Here is a different perspective:

I have always been interested in medical stuff. I also have always been interested in fixing stuff. I had the "lightbulb moment" a few years ago while sitting in my own doctor's office. Doctor's get to learn medicine and fix things. The added bonus is that the "things" we fix are people. How cool is that.

I went back to college that fall and haven't looked back since.

6. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

My story is quite touching. I can remember it well. I was making a right turn in my car, and I was looking left to make sure no cars were coming. It was all clear so I pushed the accelerator, but I didnt realize an old man on a bicycle was coming from the right, so I hit him and he stumbled over. I got out to check on him, and he was OK but a little shaken up. It was at that exact moment I thought to myself, I wonder what career would top the Occupational Outlook handbooks salary list. After a little research I found out that that career was a physician.

7. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Yes, all the more money that you can have (and be sued for) next time you hit an old man with your car. Ass.

8. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey man - he was ok, i asked him.

9. lealf-ye

lealf-ye I am a super doctor.
    7+ Year Member

funny. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. that dr. jack

that dr. jack Captain Bringdown
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    2 things shaped it i guess:

1. my dad was a EEG tech at LA County-USC hospital starting when i was about 4 or 5. i loved going to work with him and hanging out there. all the equipment and patients were really cool and i got to be his neuro guinea pig. the hospital has a tremendous presence- the tile walls, the inherent order within chaos, the broken EVERYTHING, and the sign over the entrance that proclaims the poor citizens of los angeles will be treated no matter what. i love the smell of CHG soap because it smells like county. i've never been able to shake my love for what that place stands for.

2. quincy re-runs when i was 11. i was so going to be a forensic pathologist until i realized i like live patients.

my current job didn't really inspire me other than showing me how truly insubordinate i am, and why i need to move on to greater things. being the lowest on the totem pole encouraged me to hurry the hell up and apply.

11. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I seen my Dermatologist driving this really hot BMW. haha