How did YOU spend your summer after MS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Fan of Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to weigh my options for the summer after MS1 and am torn between traveling, clinical work, or research. I just wanted to see what some of you did following MS1 and also what RESIDENCY you are considering so I can see if applicants for more competitive specialties prefer one thing over another.

I also know that several students in my school recommend some board studying during the summer so if any of you did some of that, include that as well. Thanks for the advice in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to weigh my options for the summer after MS1 and am torn between traveling, clinical work, or research. I just wanted to see what some of you did following MS1 and also what RESIDENCY you are considering so I can see if applicants for more competitive specialties prefer one thing over another.

I also know that several students in my school recommend some board studying during the summer so if any of you did some of that, include that as well. Thanks for the advice in advance :)

I did none of the above aside from a small vacation to a lake. I'm a nontrad, so I went back to work as a consultant engineer because I could make quite a bit of money in 2.5 months. I'm an MS3 planning on applying in ORL.

Whatever you do, don't use your time for studying for boards after MS1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do, don't study for the boards. It will be absolutely pointless and you won't remember it. The one exception is that if you did REALLY bad in anything first year, you can try and learn it better before second year and the pathology of that organ system (or whatever).

I went to the beach for the summer. I'm not big into research at all. And as for residencies, I really have no idea yet - undecided.

I did research.. it was by far the easiest job I've ever had and I made some much needed food/rent money and got something for the CV. Also surfed a lot. pretty amazingly chill summer.

I did summer research with an eye on trying to get something published. Submitted the paper for review in February (yes, it took a ton of time during M2) and I did it to try and keep my options open as I don't really know what I want to do yet residency-wise.

It was fun to have something else to work on occasionally during the year. That being said, I was just working on the paper itself during the school year- the rest was completed in the summer. Also, my opinion of the experience will likely change somewhat based on whether or not the paper goes through. Sort of sad, but true.

Last edited:
I did summer research with an eye on trying to get something published. Submitted the paper for review in February (yes, it took a ton of time during M2) and I did it to try and keep my options open as I don't really know what I want to do yet residency-wise.

It was fun to have something else to work on occasionally during the year. That being said, I was just working on the paper itself during the school year- the rest was completed in the summer. Also, my opinion of the experience will likely change somewhat based on whether or not the paper goes through. Sort of sad, but true.

hope your paper goes through :luck: even if it doesn't for whatever reason, luckily there's always the chance to submit to other journals.

i worked over the summer. nice to not worry about living expense money during ms2

I will be doing a research project that also has clinical experiences (clinic days, rounds, and working on the medical team at a special needs summer camp). Hopefully it will go well!

tried to learn the basics of piano and failed lol

smoked some weed, etc

went to Europe for 2 weeks with the wifey, then came back and cut grass and rode in the amberlamps going on 911 calls. Good times.

My husband and I went on our honeymoon. Aside from that, I did some volunteer work with the med school for a local charity (fun and good for the CV), and chilled by the pool with a cool drink in my hand. It was awesome.

DO NOT STUDY FOR THE BOARDS. Your M2 summer will be spent studying for Step1. Your M3 summer for Step 2. The next summer you start residency. And so on and so forth.

Research would be a good alternative to complete vacation but make sure that you do something fun or very part time. Also, the research that you do does not have to get published in order to be put on the CV and discussed seriously during interviews. I had a lot of research in Undergrad and med school that never got published.

ERAS has 3 sections research can be counted under (and you can list the same thing multiple times): Jobs (student worker/ research associate), Research Experience, and Publications (includes poster presentations, oral presentations of research - does not have to be national presentation or in a journal)

My husband and I went on our honeymoon. Aside from that, I did some volunteer work with the med school for a local charity (fun and good for the CV), and chilled by the pool with a cool drink in my hand. It was awesome.

DO NOT STUDY FOR THE BOARDS. Your M2 summer will be spent studying for Step1. Your M3 summer for Step 2. The next summer you start residency. And so on and so forth.

Research would be a good alternative to complete vacation but make sure that you do something fun or very part time. Also, the research that you do does not have to get published in order to be put on the CV and discussed seriously during interviews. I had a lot of research in Undergrad and med school that never got published.

ERAS has 3 sections research can be counted under (and you can list the same thing multiple times): Jobs (student worker/ research associate), Research Experience, and Publications (includes poster presentations, oral presentations of research - does not have to be national presentation or in a journal)

This sounds exactly like the summer I want (minus the honeymoon since I'm not married)!

iam going to practice in a hospital near my home before i go to beach with my family i think it would be so funny and useful vacation but the only thing i hope for now is to do well in the final exams please pray for me all:prof::prof:

Members don't see this ad :)
went to Europe for 2 weeks with the wifey, then came back and cut grass and rode in the amberlamps going on 911 calls. Good times.

Bring amberlamps!

You're in Milwaukee right? I don't miss EMTing there one bit.

Sitting on a beach in Central America, romancing a girl I met down there.

Bring amberlamps!

You're in Milwaukee right? I don't miss EMTing there one bit.
Oh, I miss it. It was a blast. The drama, the hilarity, the really sick people, the pretending-to-be-sick people, the pit bulls, the police, and the snacks in the West Allis hospital's fridge. :D I worked for Curtis though, which was lots of 911 calls. Bell/Paratech do a lot more nursing home transports, which are really boring.

camping and at the pool. probably the first time since I was a sophomore in high school that I didn't have a job or school. so incredibly awesome. i can't believe it's almost summer again....too bad i have absolutely nothing to look forward to this time around.

my gf and i plan on cycling from PA to CA and doing an IronMan at the end of summer.

Wow, that is hardcore! Impressive. What a great way to see the country. Your legs will be in great shape for that IronMan.

I'm volunteering at Diabetes Camp for a week, then my bf and I are going to Disneyworld for another week. Finishing up the summer with a 3 week FM externship (hopefully). Pool for every other day.

Is it not important for students wanting to get into a competitive residency to spend their breaks doing some type of resume/CV building? Or is it really not that much of a boost to get in some clinical or research experience during the MS1 summer?

I've thought about this same question and am still undecided. Mainly because once that summer comes and then goes, well, it's gone. I just don't want to be interviewing for residencies and face the regret of "If I had just done some research that summer..."

So is it a big deal to blow off that first summer? And conversely, would it be a big deal to do some research or clinical work?

Wow, that is hardcore! Impressive. What a great way to see the country. Your legs will be in great shape for that IronMan.
i certainly HOPE this trek across the country will get our legs fit for that IronMan! Since most of our time is being spent being a busy medical student, we are going to have to do the best we can to make sure we are prepared for that race...and we both have always wanted to bike across the nation...and being that this summer is supposedly one of our last few opportunities, it just seemed natural to want to go for it.

I only had 4 weeks, so I did a cytopathology preceptorship. I would say do research if you want to get into a competitive field.

My initial plan was to go to Prague and shadow someone at some hospital over there, but when all my friends decided to come back home for the summer, I wasted away into practically nothing--ie, I regressed into my undergraduate state, habits, and lifestyle, which was awesome. Then I spent a week in Amsterdam (with said friends), which was definitely something.

Unless you've got a REAL chance at actually getting published with someone, take those couple of months off. Much, MUCH needed.

I think I'll chime in here with a different opinion. My school explicitly told us "You might think this summer is your 'last summer.' You're wrong. The 'last summer' was before MS1."
I'm not saying you need to work 12 hour days the entire summer, but I do think it's a good idea to do something to put on your CV. One of my friends did an elective with an dermatologist for a couple of weeks, another went to a rehab clinic and observed for a week, I did some research. None of us spent our entire summers buried in a lab or a textbook, but we have something to show for the time. A lot of people I knew went back home for the summer and spent some time volunteering or working out there.
Basically, I'm saying that it will look better when you apply for residency to have something to show for the summer after MS1.

Basically, I'm saying that it will look better when you apply for residency to have something to show for the summer after MS1.
A preceptorship would definitely not meet that criterion, from what I understand. Research has a pretty decent chance of not qualifying, as well. At least the latter has the benefit of being an "oh, cool" check mark, regardless of whether or not you get published, but unpublished research isn't going to do a whole lot for your CV.

I agree, a preceptorship isn't the most impressive way to spend the summer. Still, it can be useful for showing early interest in a specialty. As for research, the residency application counts oral presentations and posters as "published" research. Most medical schools have a student research day, and a lot of regional conferences will let medical students with posters present.

As for research, the residency application counts oral presentations and posters as "published" research.
That certainly helps things, but I know quite a few people who didn't do much more than scut lab work this past summer. In fact, that describes everyone I've spoken with who did research this summer except one person - no presentations or posters or anything. Whether or not that's their fault in some capacity, I don't know, but considering this is about a dozen med students, I doubt it.

I agree, a preceptorship isn't the most impressive way to spend the summer. Still, it can be useful for showing early interest in a specialty. As for research, the residency application counts oral presentations and posters as "published" research. Most medical schools have a student research day, and a lot of regional conferences will let medical students with posters present.
In the journalism school sense, a poster or presentation is "published." But in the residency app, med school, real world sense, they are not. When PDs see you've published something, they'll want to be able to look it up on Pubmed. That's why there's a completely separate classification for published articles, and for presentations and posters, on ERAS.

I'm trying to weigh my options for the summer after MS1 and am torn between traveling, clinical work, or research. I just wanted to see what some of you did following MS1 and also what RESIDENCY you are considering so I can see if applicants for more competitive specialties prefer one thing over another...
I did research. I later presented that work at a national conference. Formed the basis for my thesis and now I'm writing it up for a journal submission.

Board studying during MS1 is a waste of time. How would you know what's important?

I did research. I later presented that work at a national conference. Formed the basis for my thesis and now I'm writing it up for a journal submission.

Board studying during MS1 is a waste of time. How would you know what's important?

by looking at first aid?

Eh...First Aid isn't organized in a manner that supports post-M1 studying. There are sections for neuro, biochem, and immuno/micro, but if your school's curriculum is like most, you'll only have had 2 of those in your first year. Save the studying for M2.

When it comes to the value of a poster, all I can do is repeat what my med school's career office keeps telling us. They keep saying that research, even if you don't get a paper, is valuable and a poster presentation looks good on your residency application. Obviously as a second year student, I don't have any personal experience with this. Still, our match list is pretty good every year, so I think the career office gives good advice.
And yes, board study after M1 is pointless. Completely, totally pointless.

I think I'll chime in here with a different opinion. My school explicitly told us "You might think this summer is your 'last summer.' You're wrong. The 'last summer' was before MS1."
I'm not saying you need to work 12 hour days the entire summer, but I do think it's a good idea to do something to put on your CV. One of my friends did an elective with an dermatologist for a couple of weeks, another went to a rehab clinic and observed for a week, I did some research. None of us spent our entire summers buried in a lab or a textbook, but we have something to show for the time. A lot of people I knew went back home for the summer and spent some time volunteering or working out there.

haha...F that. I'm goin to Peru for 8 weeks. Gonna be legiiiiiiiiiit.

When it comes to the value of a poster, all I can do is repeat what my med school's career office keeps telling us. They keep saying that research, even if you don't get a paper, is valuable and a poster presentation looks good on your residency application. Obviously as a second year student, I don't have any personal experience with this. Still, our match list is pretty good every year, so I think the career office gives good advice.
And yes, board study after M1 is pointless. Completely, totally pointless.
Don't get me wrong. A poster or a presentation is great to have on your CV. But they're not publications by definition.

?

impressive! can i ask how did u get to do that piece of research? ie did u approach lecturers/doctors to ask if they were doing any research or was it advertised at school n u just had to apply?

thanks

impressive! can i ask how did u get to do that piece of research? ie did u approach lecturers/doctors to ask if they were doing any research or was it advertised at school n u just had to apply?

thanks
My med school assigned adviser just happened to do work in a field I had experience in. We got to talking, came up with an idea for a clinical study, pushed the proposal through the IRB, and got ~ half the subjects through the protocol over the summer.

Just talk to the professors you liked and ask them if they have any projects for you. If they don't, well, you'll have several dozen lecturers during MS1.

Alternatively, you can go to the clinical department you're interested in and ask around there. A classmate of mine approached the ortho department, put in solid effort throughout MS1-MS4, got a pub and a conference presentation, made connections, and now she's staying on as an ortho resident.

about to finish ms1, these are some of my thoughts:

people are so quick to dismiss board studying during MS1 summer... but i think it ALL depends on what school you go to.

at my school for instance, we've already covered 65-70% of the first aid book

- ALL of FA biochem
- ALL of FA embryo
- ALL of FA immuno
- ALL of FA CV phys
- ALL of FA resp phys
- ALL of FA ren phys
- ALL of FA endocrine
- ALL of FA GI phys
- ALL of FA reproductive
- ALL of FA musculoskeletal
- ALL of FA neurology
- 1/2 FA heme/onc
- 1/2 of FA pharm
- 1/2 of goljan path
- ZERO psych
- ZERO microbio

sure, there are small exceptions here and there but after going through each page of first aid and goljan path, i can confidently say this is a fairly accurate assessment. based on my school's curriculum and what we've learned so far, i think it's quite the overstatement to simply dismiss MS1 summer as not being a valuable amount of time for board prep. even though intricacies may be forgotten by the time step 1 actually has to be taken, how would the extra studying ever hurt you? things are always easier the 2nd time around, even easier the third, fourth, fifth, etc. etc. in any case, if someone feels as though they can develop a mastery of 65-70% of the material in the course of a summer, why not?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. A poster or a presentation is great to have on your CV. But they're not publications by definition.

Definitely. A poster is not as good as a paper. But I'll take what I can get. It's cool that you did so much with your research. I managed to get some good results, but I don't think I'll be able take it any further.

My med school assigned adviser just happened to do work in a field I had experience in. We got to talking, came up with an idea for a clinical study, pushed the proposal through the IRB, and got ~ half the subjects through the protocol over the summer.

Just talk to the professors you liked and ask them if they have any projects for you. If they don't, well, you'll have several dozen lecturers during MS1.

Alternatively, you can go to the clinical department you're interested in and ask around there. A classmate of mine approached the ortho department, put in solid effort throughout MS1-MS4, got a pub and a conference presentation, made connections, and now she's staying on as an ortho resident.

Thanks RxnMan!that was really helpful! i ll definitely give it a go this summer :D

btw about ur classmate, wot do u mean by "solid effort thruout ms1-ms4"? so her project wasnt just a summer one? she did a massive piece of research bit by bit in the weekends throughout 4 years of med school or something?

about to finish ms1, these are some of my thoughts:...
I gave you my thoughts already, as a 4th year. But do what you want to do. Feel free to come back here in a year and tell us how studying this summer helped you on Step 1. I have a score that could get me into any specialty, and the fact that I didn't study for the boards during MS1 didn't hurt me at all.

based on my school's curriculum and what we've learned so far, i think it's quite the overstatement to simply dismiss MS1 summer as not being a valuable amount of time for board prep.
If your assessment is accurate, you are an exception to the rule, and it would be wise to not give advice as though you're representative. It's obvious that things will be different for you if your school does basic science in 1 or 1.5 years. If you're not in one of those fast-paced curricula, I think you might be overestimating how much you've actually learned. For instance, "ALL of FA CV phys" is a little less than half of the FA cardio section.

Thanks RxnMan!that was really helpful! i ll definitely give it a go this summer :D

btw about ur classmate, wot do u mean by "solid effort thruout ms1-ms4"? so her project wasnt just a summer one? she did a massive piece of research bit by bit in the weekends throughout 4 years of med school or something?
It was an effort over the entire time span. She lined things up during MS1, did a lot of the work over the summer, and then did clean up (experiments here and there) and presentations/writing over the next year or so.