How did your Step II score help/hurt your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Just wanted to know how important the Step II weighs on your chances of getting a residency. Do places care more about an improvement in scores, a very good step II, or the same score for both?
 
I think my Step 2 score helped me a lot. I had an average Step 1 score but I took Step 2 early (in July) and scored almost 20 points higher. I think this is what helped me get interviews at all the schools I applied to including Baylor and Vanderbilt (the best programs I applied to). If you have a very good Step 1 score I think the key is to be sure not to go down. I've heard that Peds and IM place more emphasis on Step 2 while specialties like Path, Rads, and ENT place more emphasis on Step 1 but I'm not sure how true this is.
 
fourthyearmed said:
I think my Step 2 score helped me a lot. I had an average Step 1 score but I took Step 2 early (in July) and scored almost 20 points higher. I think this is what helped me get interviews at all the schools I applied to including Baylor and Vanderbilt (the best programs I applied to). If you have a very good Step 1 score I think the key is to be sure not to go down. I've heard that Peds and IM place more emphasis on Step 2 while specialties like Path, Rads, and ENT place more emphasis on Step 1 but I'm not sure how true this is.
I can speak for path...if you did well on step 1, the programs don't seem to care about step 2. the fact that i haven't taken step 2 has never come up in conversation during interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Step 1 score was 217, and I'm debating whether it would really be worthwhile to take a block off in July to improve on Step 2 - especially since my clinical grades have just been passes. I was hoping to take some vacation time later, but if it'll really increase my interviews I guess I'd bite the bullet. Or should I just take the cushiest elective possible and study during my free time? Unfortunately either way I wouldn't be maximizing my LOR opportunities...

Any input would be appreciated, I'm really torn regarding my 4th year schedule. Thanks!!!
 
Don't waste a month off studying for Step 2. Try to take 1 or 2 very easy electives and study during that time.