how difficult is it to find employment in PM&R after completing residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im interested in this field, but im having trouble finding information on PM&R. how difficult is it to find employment in PM&R, especially on the east coast? i know of several hospitals where they only have 1 PM&R doctor. where do PM&R doctors work? (i.e.hospitals, private practice, with orthopedic surgeons)

also, could anyone provide me with an estimate on the starting salary for a PM&R doctor after completing residency? how about 5 yrs after completing a residency? whats a good estimate of how many hrs a PM&R doctor works a week? is 50 hrs accurate? (with answers in the context of the NY, NJ, PA area)

Members don't see this ad.

can any of the experts in PM&R answer the above post? thank you in advance

I don't know too much about job availabilities as far as certain geographical areas are concerned. I can tell you they typically start out around $120-130,000, but salaries can go up significantly depending on your location. PM&R docs usually get away with working close to 40 hours a week. Some work more and some work less. Again...location, location, location! It's hard for me to tell you where the hot spots are, so you might benefit more by continuing your search in this field on your own.

This thread may provide you with some information.

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000931" target="_blank">Updated: Physician Compensation</a>