How difficult is it to get 3 yr Army HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOxidant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year student (class of 2014). I recently applied for a 3 yr Army HPSP. My application is completed and will go under review at the end of March. That's when the boards meet to make a decision.

Exactly, how competitive is it to get Army HPSP for 3 years? I heard that the decision is made separately from 4 year scholarship. Any input is welcome

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a first year student (class of 2014). I recently applied for a 3 yr Army HPSP. My application is completed and will go under review at the end of March. That's when the boards meet to make a decision.

Exactly, how competitive is it to get Army HPSP for 3 years? I heard that the decision is made separately from 4 year scholarship. Any input is welcome

I don't know if it puts you into a different category, however, that is one year of med school they aren't paying for, which saves them money. If they accept four 3 year applicants, it should open another slot for an additional applicant. Simply, thats one year not being paid for four 3 yr applicants. With the national shortage in health care providers, I think it would be in your favor. Don't sweat it, the application is in, you can't do anything but wait to hear now.

Good Luck!!

I'm just speculating, but I would imagine your chances for a 3yr scholarship are directly tied to how many scholarships were handed out the prior year. As in, if they met recruiting goals the prior year, few if any would be available this year, and vice versa. Get what I'm saying? My thought is they would want a more or less constant number of FYGME applicants each year.

Of course, that could be completely wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had some HPSP recruiters come talk to the military med club meeting at my school last week and they told us all scholarships for the classes of 2013 and 2014 were full and they weren't accepting anymore. I'm not sure if that's entirely true or not but take it with a grain of salt. If you can't do HPSP, you can always try MDSSP. One of my friends did that since he couldn't get HPSP

We had some HPSP recruiters come talk to the military med club meeting at my school last week and they told us all scholarships for the classes of 2013 and 2014 were full and they weren't accepting anymore. I'm not sure if that's entirely true or not but take it with a grain of salt. If you can't do HPSP, you can always try MDSSP. One of my friends did that since he couldn't get HPSP

For real? That means my recruiter lied to me and made me waste time and money(since I have to get a medical consult) on this.

For real? That means my recruiter lied to me and made me waste time and money(since I have to get a medical consult) on this.

Like Bleeker said take it with a grain of salt. You never know. They give out scholarships to people and they say they are all out...BUT there are people that back out and decide not to take them. So it may not have been a waste of time. If they did give them all away, they would put you on an order of merit list and if someone backs out they go to the list and offer it to those people.

I did a 3 year HPSP scholarship w/ the Navy. Although you are applying to a different service, the rationale is the same. The Army will pay for 3 yrs and you will owe them four. It is a deal that saves taxpayer’s money. You are in…