How difficult is it to get into a GPR/AEGD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it overall and in NY per se?

Meaning.... can you be a C student and still get in without a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs want their candidates to be at least top 50% or bottom 50% in class whichever you prefer :D and Part I board score 80 and above, plus good recommendation letters and a sound personal statement. Being a C student does not mean much because you are compared to the rest of you class, BUT the board score is more significant since you're compared to the rest of the nation in that particular year.

Each program is different and look for different things. Some only look at grades and recommendations. National Bds are lossing favor... soon they may be only pass fair... until they do some look at them.

Each dental school grades differently, so we look at class standings more so than grades.

Students will generally only select faculty they know will give them a good recommendation. So often calls are made. From the school to a program, or from the program to the school.

Believe it or not. most programs look closely at your essay/personal statement and your CV/background. We like to see a honest person who has done more then just go to school and get grades. Need to work, research, volunteer activities, class activities, etc all count. Some programs, like ours, look at personal problems.

One reason we are not in the match is to be able to blend the program. From different schools, different backgrounds, different class standings. The match we be computer based and for most programs it is great, but we look deeper, at the person.

Any questions, just write or call,

Members don't see this ad :)
One reason we are not in the match is to be able to blend the program. From different schools, different backgrounds, different class standings. The match we be computer based and for most programs it is great, but we look deeper, at the person.

I don't understand how not being in match gives you any advantage to getting a more diverse group of students. If you like a person with lower stats you rank them, if you like someone with better stats, you rank them. I just don't like the situation it puts us as applicants to have to make a decision if our top choice is match. Not being involved in match I feel plays on the fear of the student. In my opinion all programs should be either required to participate in match, otherwise do away with match all together....sorry to take out my frustrations, don't think its directed toward you personally, its just like the BCS, its frustrating and there has to be a better way. :D

I don't understand how not being in match gives you any advantage to getting a more diverse group of students. If you like a person with lower stats you rank them, if you like someone with better stats, you rank them. I just don't like the situation it puts us as applicants to have to make a decision if our top choice is match. Not being involved in match I feel plays on the fear of the student. In my opinion all programs should be either required to participate in match, otherwise do away with match all together....sorry to take out my frustrations, don't think its directed toward you personally, its just like the BCS, its frustrating and there has to be a better way. :D

I understand your feeling. I will try to explain our view... The problem is on the system... and the behavior or all the dental specialties. I and my committee have had the same headached and vote each year if we should try the match again. And you are right, rank those who are best... and thats our problem.

We often like a few with lower class standings but with the match we had to rank the best first, we could not take a chance with many from the lower half of the class. We also like to blend different universities...

The match tried to help us... but one year, when we had only six residents we got six great residency from only 2 schools, 5 from one, one from the other. All were in the top 15% of the class.... an excellent match... BUT... we want to help all students, have them work with residents from other schools.

We have lost some top students by not being in the match. We generally keep one spot or so open for after the match.

That is main reason we are out of the match... it did not work for us.

I initially supported the match, but with our problems above, and many programs not honoring the match (this year alone at least two withdrew from interviews after being accepted in programs in the match). Many students did not honor the match. If they changed their minds they broke their contracts (No one wants a resident who really does not want them).We decided to stay out of the match.

Another problem with the match as you mentioned is all programs are in the match. This started from the beginning of the match. We started with it, dropped out, and tried again. But I am not talking only about GPRs/AEGDs/OMS... they are one date.... Their is an earlier match for ortho. And some specialities are not in any match.

Should the match be ended? well I agree with you, unless all programs, all specialites are in the match with one date... it will never work. If the schools don't work with PASS to forms out on time... it will not work.

Are residencies just for the top of the class? those will be ranked higher. What about those who may need the year of experience and barely made it out of school. You want to take some... but cant chance getting only those.

Hope this explains why we do want we do...

Last edited:
Is there some sort of website (with actual working links) that has a list of all the AEGDs/GPRs available (especially NY based ones)? For the ones that do, the information that is provided is very minimal, is emailing the director the next best option?? Don't mean to sound negative, just trying to find a more efficient route. Thanks.

the PASS website has the most info I found, but alot of them r incompleted. There is also a catelogue type of book every year, I believe you can try the admission office or whoever handling the graduate programs in your school, they should have a copy.

What I dont know is how to find those programs not participate in PASS / MATCH...