How difficult is medical school when you have ADHD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've been accepted and will attend KCU and all I hear about it is the stress levels and mountains of work. I'm not afraid to work hard, but sometimes my effort is lacking. I can't really get much work done without my medication. I manage the ADHD relatively well, but I'm not spending numerous hours a day studying. I also never have to be on my medication at all times but it sounds like I'll have to do that once I start medical school.

Do people with ADD struggle significantly in med school? Does anyone here in similar shoes as mine have any advice for me before I start in July 2017?

I guess to distill my whole post, how can I know if I'll be able to make it in medical school with ADHD?

Members don't see this ad.

Your anxiety will be a bigger hindrance than any attention deficit. Was it you who posted the same query on reddit just a day ago? The posts are similarly worded.

I would recommend finding ways to cope with the anxiety that don't involve reassurance-seeking. Many medical students were diagnosed with ADHD (probably over-diagnosed) and got through school just fine. The far more common reason for trouble is untreated or under-treated anxiety disorders and depression.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
There are many with ADHD who are medicated and do quite well in medical school. I think if you have trouble it's important to seek medical attention quickly. I also don't think it's great or helpful to give someone a diagnosis of anxiety over an Internet forum based on very limited data.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything is possible with adderal.

Reactions: 3 users
1.I'm not afraid to work hard, but sometimes my effort is lacking.
2.I can't really get much work done without my medication.
3. I'm not spending numerous hours a day studying
4. I also never have to be on my medication at all times but it sounds like I'll have to do that once I start medical school.

1. That is contradiction right there. Hard work is about constant effort, that is what makes it hard, otherwise anyone can do " occasional hard work " or " hard work when you feel like it " , but that is not truly hard work, because hard work is constant + when you do not feel like doing it.

2. Use your medication then.

3. Define "numerous". You might not need to get 8 hours of studying done every day, but you have to be able to do it from time to time, no one can predict what your need is going to be, some students can study 6 hours and get good results, others need to study double. The golden rule is this : short breaks and you can study almost all day long - no one believes it until they get into Med school, but yes, studying for an entire day is often required, that doesn't mean you have to stay at your desk all day, because you can do 20 minutes of jogging in the morning, you can have 10 minutes of relaxation between sessions, you can even go swimming 60-90 minutes to relax your mind and muscles ( I am describing my schedule right now and it works like a charm ) , so all in all, you're not studying all day without breaks, but you do have to design your whole day to fit in as much studying as possible - and later you will even have to work + studying, so never underestimate the things that can be done in a day.

4. This sounds like the most students' relationship with coffee.
Yes, it's true that Medical school amplifies whatever condition you already have : depression ? You're going to be even more depressed. Addicted ? You're going to be even more addicted. Poor time management skills ? You're going to have even more trouble managing your time.
However, all these problems are called resistance - There is a resistance each time you want to evolve and to achieve a new level in your life. The difference between people who succeed and those who fail is how they handle this resistance, how can they overcome their problems and themselves.
This is the reason for why no one can tell you whether you will succeed or not, because it's not about who you are right now, it is about who you are going to be in the next second : are you willing to change ? Are you willing to sweat blood for it ? Are you willing to sacrifice your comfort for it ?
Yes, I had ADHD and I still have it, but I have never taken Medicine for it. If I would have listened to all the people who told me that I'm not going to make it, then I would not be here, but I have done all I thought it was good to do and I have often gone through immense pain until I have learned to focus and to discipline my otherwise wild mind , because I did not let my ADHD limit me. I founded ways to look at it from a different perspective : what is the advantage of it ? Can I exercise more than my peers and not lose energy, but even be able to focus more ? Yes, I can ! I could. Every time I tasted success it was a sign that I can transform myself without being limited by the ADHD label.
You want to know why most people don't ever make it and they rely on medicine ?
Because it is damn hard, but in a subtle way. For example, many people would not believe that meditation is difficult, but try doing it having ADHD and tell me how many minutes can you resist at the beginning. See ? That's what I'm talking about. And yes, meditation is incredibly powerful when it comes to managing ADHD.
OF course, medicine is always there, medicine is there for everything you can imagine, but the side effect is that you can get addicted to it, you will not be able to function without it, and that is not a good place to be. For me it was never an option. But many will disagree. Not a problem - The proof is in the pudding and I've made mine well.

Reactions: 4 users
I've been accepted and will attend KCU and all I hear about it is the stress levels and mountains of work. I'm not afraid to work hard, but sometimes my effort is lacking. I can't really get much work done without my medication. I manage the ADHD relatively well, but I'm not spending numerous hours a day studying. I also never have to be on my medication at all times but it sounds like I'll have to do that once I start medical school.

Do people with ADD struggle significantly in med school? Does anyone here in similar shoes as mine have any advice for me before I start in July 2017?

I guess to distill my whole post, how can I know if I'll be able to make it in medical school with ADHD?

Are you opposed to being on medication on a consistent basis? And if you are, how come? I don't mean that in a critical way, I'm genuinely asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you opposed to being on medication on a consistent basis? And if you are, how come? I don't mean that in a critical way, I'm genuinely asking.

I don't particularly like the effects of the drugs outside of studying. I'm constantly going to the bathroom, and my mouth and throat gets dry as a dessert. I feel like I'm not quite myself which isn't that big a deal all in all, but I find the mess to be really draining and I'm super tired after I'm done with them. As well, if I take them later in the day it gets tough to sleep. When I use it now it's only ever for like a few days at a time for an upcoming midterm or exam. I never take it all the time and so I'm a bit reluctant to have to depend on the meds daily

Many have done it with and without medication. You're not the first and you want be the last.

Last edited:
You are allowed to ask for accommodations, since you have been accepted. The school is, in fact, obligated to give them to you under the ADA.

You are allowed to ask for accommodations, since you have been accepted. The school is, in fact, obligated to give them to you under the ADA.

What kind of accommodations do you think are appropriate to ask for here? Are there typical accommodations that you see?

I have ADHD too, and how it will affect me in medical school is something that also troubled me. At the end of the day you just have to pull out every measure to ensure you do well, whether that means through medication, concentration techniques, accommodations, etc.

Having the right mindset also helps. You won't be in college anymore where you sometimes learn things that you might not ever encounter again. What you learn in medical school is completely for the benefit of you becoming a better doctor one day, so what you learn should be looked at as intriguing and fun. That's obviously not an easy thing to do, but try changing your perspective of the work.

I've met quite a few Physicians with ADHD (a lot in the ER) and so I'm certain all of us students with ADHD can make it through.

Congratulations on getting into medical school, and best of luck to you!

I attend KCU (current 3rd year) and know several people with ADHD that have done just fine here. Imo, first year is very manageable and you can still have a life outside of school if you manage your time well. Second year is miserable, more than at many other med schools (or at least that's what I've gathered from talking to friends at other MD and DO schools). I'll also add that our school's counselors, one psychiatrist and one Psy D., are both fantastic and there are a lot of students who utilize them. I've seen one of them a few times and it was immensely helpful. Some schools don't have a lot of mental health resources for their students, but KCU is not one of them.

You will likely need to regularly take medicine (that's just the nature of any med school), but as long as you're putting in the work and managing your personal health appropriately, there's no reason you can't succeed. Feel free to PM me with specific questions about the school, otherwise good luck.

Hey bud! I'm from the Philippines and I also started Med school last August 2017. It wasn't until April 2018 that I was diagnosed with ADHD. If it weren't for the daunting tasks of being a med student, I wouldn't have been diagnosed with ADHD because when I was still in college, I was able to cope up with compensatory mechanisms and I am also blessed with a very high IQ. I think that's what helped me so far as that's also what my psychiatrist told me. But med school is a different story. My mentor always told me to exert 3x more effort than what I had exerted in college. Anyway, I am still struggling now because my body has already built tolerance on my medication (Ritalin LA 20mg) and I am yet to see my psychiatrist. I know it's pretty late for me as I am failing my subjects and our final exam ends on May 31. I am still happy though that I was diagnosed with the disease because my frustrations has finally been justified.

How about you? Were you able to adjust? What's your story? What were your study techniques and how did you adapt to the situation? I'm hoping to hear a response from you.

Best regards,
Josef

ADHD is way, way overdiagnosed

Reactions: 2 users
Hope these guys have 1.5x time and a quiet room when a patient's coding, too.

Reactions: 2 users
SDN isn’t the place to discuss mental health needs. It seems like many of us (myself included sometimes) talk about ADHD like its not an issue managed by Psychiatry, but it is and hence everyone needs their unique strategies tailored to them coming from their own psychiatrist, counselor, and support systems. Not the internet...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Med school was not bad for me. As someone who is very functionally medicated, the clinical years were harder for me than preclinicals. I was kind of a machine the first two years and honored virtually everything. The clinical years went very well overall but were harder for two main reasons. The first is that I found that controlling my environment was a major behavioral strategy I used to help maintain attention and in most specialties this is not really possible (although I went into it for other reasons, one of the things that I found was good about psych was that you can generally control your environment a little better to minimize distraction as you're usually talking to someone one on one while sitting in a room). The other problem was that scheduling medication doses when you're busy is hard and it can be close to impossible to get medication to cover you for the entirety of a long day on surgery or something.

Overall: it's definitely doable but presents challenges.

ADHD is way, way overdiagnosed

I think you're right and wrong at the same time. I think most people diagnosed with adhd don't have it. I also think most people with adhd don't get diagnosed with it.