Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. So far I've gotten one II and was accepted at that school. That school is CHSUCOM, the new osteopathic medical school in California's central valley. I really enjoyed talking to my interviewers and the campus seems really nice/state-of-the-art. I'm just a little worried about the "new-ness" of the school. I would be in the second graduating class.
My question is: Will I be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to matching into a competitive specialty such as general or orthopedic surgery?
From what I've seen, it seems like people are implying its nearly impossible to match into surgery from D.O. schools, especially a new D.O. school. I'm not worried about having to work hard. I've had to work slightly harder than most of my classmates throughout undergrad - I was a non-trad student with a very low GPA initially and no background in science, but I managed to graduate magna cum laude in biology from a T20 public uni.
I really like CHSUCOM, and I would be close to my family and my girlfriend. Hoping to also get into TouroCA (honestly though, CHSUCOM facilities seem significantly nicer), and my longshot is UCSF.
But anyway, if I work my butt off, will it be possible to match into a surgical specialty from CHSUCOM? What kind of things would I have to do in order to do so?
Thanks in advance!
My question is: Will I be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to matching into a competitive specialty such as general or orthopedic surgery?
From what I've seen, it seems like people are implying its nearly impossible to match into surgery from D.O. schools, especially a new D.O. school. I'm not worried about having to work hard. I've had to work slightly harder than most of my classmates throughout undergrad - I was a non-trad student with a very low GPA initially and no background in science, but I managed to graduate magna cum laude in biology from a T20 public uni.
I really like CHSUCOM, and I would be close to my family and my girlfriend. Hoping to also get into TouroCA (honestly though, CHSUCOM facilities seem significantly nicer), and my longshot is UCSF.
But anyway, if I work my butt off, will it be possible to match into a surgical specialty from CHSUCOM? What kind of things would I have to do in order to do so?
Thanks in advance!