How do ADCOMS read our applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ductus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is, more specifically, what do they read first and what do they read last?

Do they view the application like it is when we hit print PDF application on AMCAS, and, therefore, go over demographic info first?

OR do they read the Personal Statement first, hence, not knowing any previous info about the applicant.

I'm just curious. Now that I've submitted app, I have nothing better to think of lol.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, more specifically, what do they read first and what do they read last?

Do they view the application like it is when we hit print PDF application on AMCAS, and, therefore, go over demographic info first?

OR do they read the Personal Statement first, hence, not knowing any previous info about the applicant.

I'm just curious. Now that I've submitted app, I have nothing better to think of lol.

Ask them in person during an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it depends on the reader. Just like reading the paper. Some people like to start with sports, others the arts, others look at current events, and some want to get right to business (not the best example for our generation though. I mean, who reads the paper? I feel old just acknowledging I know about papers)

Reactions: 3 users
They essentially get the PDF. What they read first is their choice, and many of them have their own systems.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it depends on the school. School I interviewed at, the doctor had my AMCAS printed in a very weird format. He had highlighted all throughout it. I know specifically what it looked like because he put it in front of me to show me the highlighting.

UC Irvine specifically reads applications from start to finish. i.e. Activities before Personal Statement.

It depends on the individual committee member and their order of preference.

Here's what I do, in this order: Look over
1) GPAs and MCAT score (I also note rising trends and any post-bac GPAs)
1b) degree and year graduation, plus UG school, and post-bac school, if any
2) age of applicant (I have special questions for the youngest, and people in their 30s or 40s)
3) transcript
4) LORs
5) see if they have a doctor in the family ( I use this for interview questions)
6) EC list
7) look for IAs or other red flags.
8) look at secondaries (hobbies, why my school, secondary essay)
9) read personal statement
10) start thinking of interview questions

Some schools have closed file interviews and the interviewer knows nothing about you. Since I'm at a DO school, I see the same PDF and format that the applicant submits to AACOMAS. i imagine it's the same for my colleagues at MD schools.

2) age of applicant (I have special questions for the youngest, and people in their 30s or 40s)
3) transcript
4) LORs
5) see if they have a doctor in the family ( I use this for interview questions)
6) EC list

Some schools have closed file interviews and the interviewer knows nothing about you. Since I'm at a DO school, I see the same PDF and format that the applicant submits to AACOMAS. i imagine it's the same for my colleagues at MD schools.

What type of questions do you have regarding family member physicians? I just found out I have a great-uncle who practices FM in Virginia, but I've never met him or anything. I listed on my apps that I have no physician relatives though.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to reject you.

:)

What type of questions do you have regarding family member physicians? I just found out I have a great-uncle who practices FM in Virginia, but I've never met him or anything. I listed on my apps that I have no physician relatives though.

Reactions: 4 users
3) transcript
4) LORs
6) EC list

Interesting. So you already have a pretty good idea of who the applicant is by the time you read the personal statement. So the personal statement functions more like a conclusion, something that ties together everything you've already seen about the applicant, more than an introduction. Well, at least for those who read the personal statement last.

I don't remember exactly the order I looked at medical school applications, but for residency applications:

1) Eyeball scores, schools attended
2) Read CV
3) Read LOR
4) Read PS

I have found that the biggest difference between medical school applications and residency applications are the LOR. The LOR for residency tend to correlate with the applicant a little better than for medical school. You get a pretty good sense of the individual based on how they are written about. The LOR where the author is obviously excited about the applicant tend to leave an impression.

3) transcript
4) LORs
6) EC list

I mean no disrespect. I am genuinely interested. But isn't asking anything about age illegal?

I work with HR at my job when hiring, and we are specifically instructed not to ask about anything related to age because it can be construed as ageism.

I don't ask about age...I ask questions of the youngest that are designed to ferret out immaturity; for older students, they're on life experiences.

Our wily Admissions old dean has taught us well about what and what not to ask!

I mean no disrespect. I am genuinely interested. But isn't asking anything about age illegal?

I work with HR at my job when hiring, and we are specifically instructed not to ask about anything related to age because it can be construed as ageism

Yup!

Interesting. So you already have a pretty good idea of who the applicant is by the time you read the personal statement. So the personal statement functions more like a conclusion, something that ties together everything you've already seen about the applicant, more than an introduction. Well, at least for those who read the personal statement last.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users