How do adcoms view grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it basically a checklist item where if you have a good sGPA/cGPA you're all set, or do they look at each academic term and pick apart how well you did in each class? And is it true that a sGPA and cGPA above ~3.85 is essentially viewed as "very good," and as long as that line is crossed, there's not much difference in the eyes of adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the adcom, depends on the school. The most important things are probably that your GPA is high (in context - where you go to school matters for some schools and not for others) and what trend your GPA shows.

Is it basically a checklist item where if you have a good sGPA/cGPA you're all set, or do they look at each academic term and pick apart how well you did in each class? And is it true that a sGPA and cGPA above ~3.85 is essentially viewed as "very good," and as long as that line is crossed, there's not much difference in the eyes of adcoms?

I know you want yes-or-no, cut-and-dry answers, but the truth is that no two adcoms are exactly alike. What's more, the coursework you took in college can also be taken into consideration; an A in intro to philosophy isn't as impressive an an A- in advanced biochemistry. Just get good grades. That's the only advice on this matter that you should be following.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No adcom has the time -nevermind the interest- to look at each and every class you took and analyse it.
They certainly wouldn't have the competence/knowledge to do so anyway.

Big patterns are the most important, as always.

I was told by my school's medical admissions dean (a UC school) that "we look at your transcript with a magnifying glass"

Reactions: 1 user