How do adcoms view nonresearch publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DK Washington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Biology major and Creative Writing minor and wonder if listing my published poems in my application would look impressive to adcoms and/or set me apart from most applicants or would it work against me since they'd prefer publications related to research.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's pretty cool in my opinion. That kind of publication can definitely show your personality as well as intellectual abilities.

I can't imagine it would hurt you in any way unless you listed it to make it seem like it was a research based publication. I mentioned where my photography has been published (under my photography experience). I would consider making creative writing an artistic endeavor, then talk about where you have been published within the description.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine it would hurt you in any way unless you listed it to make it seem like it was a research based publication. I mentioned where my photography has been published (under my photography experience). I would consider making creative writing an artistic endeavor, then talk about where you have been published within the description.
I agree with using this approach, rather than putting the activity into a Publications space.

I'm a Biology major and Creative Writing minor and wonder if listing my published poems in my application would look impressive to adcoms and/or set me apart from most applicants or would it work against me since they'd prefer publications related to research.
It's different. Where did you publish them?

Publications refer to peer-reviewed scholarly work. Poems and other literary work are considered Artistic Endeavors. Know your audience and do not categorize them as publications.

Reactions: 1 users