Dental How do Adcoms view shadowing family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application for dental school and I have one concern about it. The bulk of my dental experience has come from shadowing and assisting in my dad's practice (100 shadowing, 600 assisting). I have also shadowed other dentists and orthodontists for about 50 hours total. How do schools view shadowing family members?
Not an adcom, but imo I think it's viewed poorly if the bulk of your hours are with your parents, as it is in this case. Tagging @Mr.Smile12 for his expertise!

Members don't see this ad.

There's not a true consensus, but there is an acknowledgement that a lot of children of dentists want to carry the family practice. That said, depending on how available other dentists are in your area, I would try to have more exposure to other dentists, even if they are friends of your dentist-parent(s). So I generally would encourage you to shadow outside your family's office.

Probably better to shadow outside of family if possible.

That being said, if the family members have different last names than you, I don’t see a reason to specify that this was a family member on your application.

I shadowed friends and never stated that. It also never came up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.