How do entering D1's survive until fin. aid. is avail??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my scenario:

I have been approved for the full stafford etc. I can't get the perkins b/c my dad makes too much. This money doesn't get to me until mid sept (i'm told).

I work like 40-50 hours a week and still can't raise enough money to survive between now and sept. Need aug rent, food, moving expenses, wife, 2 kids, misc, etc. until sept.

What are some of you planning, or what have some of you done in this situation. I would rather not rack up the credit card or call key bank and ask for 5K....which I may end up having to do...

suggestions?
 
You can't get Perkins because your dad makes too much? Do you mean the Health Professions loan? Perkins doesn't consider your parents' income. You might want to check with your financial aid office on that. Regardless, you still won't be able to get any money out of the school before you actually start, Perkins or not.

I used credit cards. You do what you've got to do to survive. In the end, a couple of months of finance charges aren't going to be a huge deal. Once I got my loans, I immediately paid off the cards.
 
It's the same sh1t, but different day. In my situation, my dental school loans provided means until the end of May (graduation). I've been living off credit cards since then and I don't receive my first resident paycheck until mid July. Between moving costs, buying new daily essentials for my new apartment, feeding myself, gas money, dude...I feel your pain.

May I suggest a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that diet lasted me a week at a time. Currently, I have around $60 to my name until July 15th?! It's all credit cards baby. Get used to it.

Pre-doc or post-doc students, we learn how to pinch pennies, unless you're one of those luck SOBs that have mommy and daddy's tits to suck on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yah-E said:
It's the same sh1t, but different day. In my situation, my dental school loans provided means until the end of May (graduation). I've been living off credit cards since then and I don't receive my first resident paycheck until mid July. Between moving costs, buying new daily essentials for my new apartment, feeding myself, gas money, dude...I feel your pain.

May I suggest a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that diet lasted me a week at a time. Currently, I have around $60 to my name until July 15th?! It's all credit cards baby. Get used to it.

Pre-doc or post-doc students, we learn how to pinch pennies, unless you're one of those luck SOBs that have mommy and daddy's tits to suck on.

HAHAHA, that last part got me. My dad could but won't pay which is fine, it's his bling. I guess its the credit card then, even though my wife hates doing that. She doesn't want to go to dental school with any credit card debt, which I think is unavoidable at this time...

I think I have about 300 to my name.
 
1992Corolla said:
HAHAHA, that last part got me. My dad could but won't pay which is fine, it's his bling. I guess its the credit card then, even though my wife hates doing that. She doesn't want to go to dental school with any credit card debt, which I think is unavoidable at this time...

I think I have about 300 to my name.



I didnt think you put your parents info on the FAFSA unless it allowed you to get some need based scholarships. Especially in your case with a wife and kids. Contact the financil aid coordinator at the dental school you are attending and explain the situation. they often have ways to come up with some extra dollars.
 
1992Corolla said:
This is my scenario:

I have been approved for the full stafford etc. I can't get the perkins b/c my dad makes too much. This money doesn't get to me until mid sept (i'm told).

I work like 40-50 hours a week and still can't raise enough money to survive between now and sept. Need aug rent, food, moving expenses, wife, 2 kids, misc, etc. until sept.

What are some of you planning, or what have some of you done in this situation. I would rather not rack up the credit card or call key bank and ask for 5K....which I may end up having to do...

suggestions?
Hey there Corolla.
Good luck in school.
Since you have been accepted already at school, you may want to consider "maximizer loans" from Bank of America. All they need is your aceptance letter, good credit and 2 yrs of job history.
I think they might be able to give you a much better rate than your credit card or bank loan, depending on your credit.
Best part is that you don't have to make any payments in school, and the money is transferred directly to your account.
Oh yeah, this loan doesn't require school certification either.
It beats milk and bread.
Hope it helps.
 
I like the above post.. good info i may need to do that as well. The other thing you may want to do is have Henry at the park (which is where you are living if im not mistaken) take your discount and use it towards the entire august rent... that is what i am doing... wife and i close on our house july 20th move into henry on the 15th and am having them use our discount toward august rent to make things a little easier in the transition.
 
1992Corolla said:
HAHAHA, that last part got me. My dad could but won't pay which is fine, it's his bling. I guess its the credit card then, even though my wife hates doing that. She doesn't want to go to dental school with any credit card debt, which I think is unavoidable at this time...

I think I have about 300 to my name.

If your dad can pay, but won't is it a matter of principle? Do you have a bad relationship with him? It seems a bit selfish to not help your kids when you can especially when they have kids too and they are in a tough spot. I mean really, pay your dad slightly less the interest of visa and he'll make money off of you. Obviously you are responsible and dedicated because you got this far and for him it would be a good investment (an asset as rich dad calls it). Sounds like the poor dad philosophy is shining through though. Either way it is a personal choice and has nothing to do with anyone, but you and your family.
 
NileBDS said:
Hey there Corolla.
Good luck in school.
Since you have been accepted already at school, you may want to consider "maximizer loans" from Bank of America. All they need is your aceptance letter, good credit and 2 yrs of job history.
I think they might be able to give you a much better rate than your credit card or bank loan, depending on your credit.
Best part is that you don't have to make any payments in school, and the money is transferred directly to your account.
Oh yeah, this loan doesn't require school certification either.
It beats milk and bread.
Hope it helps.

Corolla, In my opinion I would not go with the maximizer loans if you can help it. They do have very competitive rates when compared to credit card rates 8-9%, however, they will charge you about 10% of what ever amount you borrow as a form of closing cost on the loan. Say for instance you borrow $5,000, you will drop $500 to them right from the get go, and then what ever interest over the life of that loan. If you only need the cash for a few months, and then you can pay it back with your student loans, IMO it would be better to pay the 10-12% interest (assuming that is the rate on your credit card) for a month or two and save the $$$$$ it costs just to accept a maximizer loan. I've already dropped $1,500 onto the card for the laptop I had to pick up and I'm planning on paying for 1st months rent, + moving costs with that card as well. They tell me that the loans will be disbursed after the first week of school which means before the end of July I can pay all that back to the credit card company. In that senerio I would only have to pay one month of interest on about $2,000 bucks (because most of what I spend for rent and to get down their will not have had time to add much in interest), probably like $80 bucks or so.

So did you pass Sievers anyway?
 
Lostinbul said:
Corolla, In my opinion I would not go with the maximizer loans if you can help it. They do have very competitive rates when compared to credit card rates 8-9%, however, they will charge you about 10% of what ever amount you borrow as a form of closing cost on the loan. Say for i

blah blah blah

So did you pass Sievers anyway?

I added the blahs (all good advice) I just hate long qoutes 😀

Yeah I passed sievers, got a B- I believe. Not too shabby for scrounging off your book and for having an apathetic attitude all year!! heh heh :meanie:

I am avoiding maximizer loans at all costs. I looked at them but also saw the closing costs. I would rather use the credit card and ay it off in oct then to have this loan over my head for four years racking up deferred interest, bleh.
My credit card has enough balance on it for us to swipe away for a coupe of months :scared:


Hey tug, I used my HotP discount for Sept rent and have to pay august rent and a pro rate for 3 days in july. This is what my wife and I figured out would be best when we signed the contract. See you there! What buiding apartment are you in? PM if u want to keep it private 👍 we don't want a bunch of philly people seeing this and banging down your door for free dental!

oldboy, I see where you're coming from and my post may have sounded like my dad is an evil empire. I should have been more clear. If i needed I could call him up and ask for a coupl egran dto cover me for a coup eof months, but call it pride...I have borrowed so much money from him already (all on a 5% interest rate loan to be repaid when I graduate and interest starts when I graduate) I would RATHER not call him up for more money. He would be totally willing and we have a great relationship, but I already owe him alot (the figure of which I will keep private :laugh: ).

Right now the alternatives seem to be my credit card and working 50 hours a week before school starts...uggh, some summer vacation...
 
1992Corolla said:
........... My credit card has enough balance on it for us to swipe away for a coupe of months :scared: ............

So, what was the need for this whole thread in the first place ? You seem to know all your options better than most of us here, and per your post, will be able manage one way or the other.

Were you expecting any of us to actually lend you that money instead ?

Good luck in school dude ...
Hail the Cherio King.
 
The good news is, I know you'll get done on time. You have a lot riding on it. Can your wife work? It's not easy with babies, but I did, four weeks off after the first one, that was all the Navy would allow at time time after my c-section, I think they now give you 6 weeks off before you go back to work full time, and twelve weeks off after the second one. Day care added up, but still came out a little ahead. Good luck.
 
NileBDS said:
So, what was the need for this whole thread in the first place ? You seem to know all your options better than most of us here, and per your post, will be able manage one way or the other.

Were you expecting any of us to actually lend you that money instead ?

Good luck in school dude ...
Hail the Cherio King.

I was testing the waters to see if there are other options...like I said, I could use the card, but would RATHER not, same as borrowing from daddy. Oh well, I guess it is credit card or bust!
 
1992Corolla said:
This is my scenario:

I have been approved for the full stafford etc. I can't get the perkins b/c my dad makes too much. This money doesn't get to me until mid sept (i'm told).

I work like 40-50 hours a week and still can't raise enough money to survive between now and sept. Need aug rent, food, moving expenses, wife, 2 kids, misc, etc. until sept.

What are some of you planning, or what have some of you done in this situation. I would rather not rack up the credit card or call key bank and ask for 5K....which I may end up having to do...

suggestions?

I was in your same boat. But I just worked 90 hours a week the summer before dental school and took $15,000 cash with me to school. It made for a nice buffer during dental school when there were countless times that extra money was needed and there was no extra time to do anything about it. The extra security I had during dental school was worth busting my hump and not rewarding myself too early when the hardest part of the journey was still in front of me....
 
esclavo said:
I was in your same boat. But I just worked 90 hours a week the summer before dental school and took $15,000 cash with me to school. It made for a nice buffer during dental school when there were countless times that extra money was needed and there was no extra time to do anything about it. The extra security I had during dental school was worth busting my hump and not rewarding myself too early when the hardest part of the journey was still in front of me....

What was your job though? I can barely stand 6 hours a day of what I do now...straight up data entry. I repeat the same keystrokes every 30-40 seconds for 9 hours a day. I could work as manu hours as I want but there comes a point where I absolutely can't stay for another second.

I should just tough it out but I have tried and failed all summer. I have managed to squeeze out 50 hrs a week tops. 😡

I can only blame myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should volunteer as a research subject at the med center associated with your dental school, if there is one. I made $100 in one hour by letting them test a new non-invasive pulse oximeter on me. Some other brave souls are taking anti-fungal meds, that can be tough on your liver, for one week and getting paid $600. I'm being paid to have my wisdom teeth pulled this summer and test the effects of an already approved pain med.

Good luck!
 
Keep in mind that you can't let your school know about the non-certified loans like the B of A maximizer and Education One or they might take that money out of your federal financial aid package.

Also, I just applied for the education one loan and they will not take the acceptance letter as proof of enrollment (even though their website says they will)...because the acceptance letter doesn't explicity say that I am enrolled. You're probably in the same situation with your acceptance letter and you'll have to wait for registration or a tuition bill (which probably won't come soon enough to help with moving and apartment renting expenses). You can apply now and get pre-approved, but you won't get final approval until you can prove enrollment. If anyone has any different experience with their acceptance letter being used to prove enrollment please speak up.

In any case, sell all your favorite toys on Ebay...I've made a very important $700 doing that the past two weeks.
 
Temple sent out a card/letter/tear at both ends kinda thing that gave the incoming D1 students their TUid... that should be sufficient proof of enrollment.




mochafreak said:
Keep in mind that you can't let your school know about the non-certified loans like the B of A maximizer and Education One or they might take that money out of your federal financial aid package.

Also, I just applied for the education one loan and they will not take the acceptance letter as proof of enrollment (even though their website says they will)...because the acceptance letter doesn't explicity say that I am enrolled. You're probably in the same situation with your acceptance letter and you'll have to wait for registration or a tuition bill (which probably won't come soon enough to help with moving and apartment renting expenses). You can apply now and get pre-approved, but you won't get final approval until you can prove enrollment. If anyone has any different experience with their acceptance letter being used to prove enrollment please speak up.

In any case, sell all your favorite toys on Ebay...I've made a very important $700 doing that the past two weeks.
 
I unfortunately will be racking up the credit card until fin. aid comes in....my apartment complex accepts credit to pay for rent!! Thank goodness or i would be completely homeless for a month🙁
 
melissamcg said:
I unfortunately will be racking up the credit card until fin. aid comes in....my apartment complex accepts credit to pay for rent!! Thank goodness or i would be completely homeless for a month🙁

Henry on the Park DOES not, I need 1500 by next month 😀 Let's hear it for time and a half!
 
To anyone stressing out about charging your life to a card before your loans are disbursed, follow this simple 5 step plan:

1. Go to www.creditcards.com.
2. Find a card with 0% interest on purchases for 1 year.
3. Get that card. Get two, three, whatever.
4. Spend spend spend. Its not costing you anything.
5. Pay off card when loans are disbursed. Or, if you're really smart, invest your loan money in a high-yield savings and wait to pay off the card until the end of the year! Hey, free money!!
 
Trench Mouth said:
You should volunteer as a research subject at the med center associated with your dental school, if there is one. I made $100 in one hour by letting them test a new non-invasive pulse oximeter on me. Some other brave souls are taking anti-fungal meds, that can be tough on your liver, for one week and getting paid $600. I'm being paid to have my wisdom teeth pulled this summer and test the effects of an already approved pain med.

Good luck!

Hey, judging by your picture there trench, the results were fantastic! 😉 ka-ching $600!