How do fall grades affect GPA calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriosityKillsMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upon checking my GPA, it is pretty dismal at a 3.4 and change. I'm taking classes in the summer and the fall for a total of 23 credits. I know that summer will be calculated into the cGPA and sGPA, but how will my grades for fall calculate into my cGPA and sGPA? If everything goes well, fall will bump my science and cumulative gpa to 3.54.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you apply after the Fall semester I don't think they will be included. Same for Summer grades-unless you apply after the Summer semester the grades won't be calculated into your GPA. AMCAS doesn't recalculate GPAs at the end of each semester once you apply and submit your transcripts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you apply after the Fall semester I don't think they will be included. Same for Summer grades-unless you apply after the Summer semester the grades won't be calculated into your GPA. AMCAS doesn't recalculate GPAs at the end of each semester once you apply and submit your transcripts.

With such an increase from 3.4 to 3.5, going from I'm assuming 1st percentile in GPA to 10th percentile, how can I show schools this increase?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you could send transcripts to every school that allows updates. But not all schools do so you would have to research which ones do. And I don't know if the individual schools would recalculate your GPAs even if you sent the transcripts. Maybe somebody that knows will advise you. Have you considered waiting a year to apply? You should only apply when you have the best possible application. Waiting a year might be a very good idea. Many schools make decisions on interviews based on the information they have when they review your file. You might have been already rejected by the time they get your Fall grades.

By skipping this cycle and applying next year. Why would apply prior to having a very strong semester, especially with a lowish end 3.4.
Just wondering, why not apply to a few schools anyway? that doesnt hurt any future chances at all right?

Just wondering, why not apply to a few schools anyway? that doesnt hurt any future chances at all right?
Yes it does, reapplicants have worse chances and while it may not have a major impact, med school admissions is about risk-reduction.

Reactions: 1 user