How do families get by on COA in expensive cities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cornfed101

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just mapped out all of the med schools that I applied to, and while I tried to avoid big cities and expensive places I also needed to cast my net wide because that is really the name of the game. My concern now looking at some places (mostly on the east coast) is how in the world do people afford rent with the COA that medical schools provide?

An example:
NYMC
$2395 per month after tuition and fees
I have 2 kids so a 2+ bed place is a requirement
Doing a brief search I had trouble finding anything under $2000/month in the area... How in the world do people do this? that's almost 85%! We thought about my wife working and putting the kids in daycare, but I have seen that daycare in NY can be $2500 or more a month and my wife would barely make enough to offset that.

Any experience from people that have done this? I know we would qualify for SNAP and Medicaid and stuff, which would be helpful...
 
I think you can cast a wide net without applying to/attending places in cities that expensive. If it were me, I would avoid places like NYC like the plague. This process isn't easy, and being financially strapped on top of being a medical student and a parent isn't a wise choice.

If you have to go, you go. But before committing yourself to a place that expensive, I would talk with financial aid to see if they would be willing to kick-up your budget due to being a parent (I believe they would cover daycare, at the very least). I had some car trouble a year back and financial aid gave the scratch to cover it. I'm sure they would throw some extra money at you for the kids.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't end up in one of the most expensive places in the world. Good luck.
 
I think you can cast a wide net without applying to/attending places in cities that expensive. If it were me, I would avoid places like NYC like the plague. This process isn't easy, and being financially strapped on top of being a medical student and a parent isn't a wise choice.

If you have to go, you go. But before committing yourself to a place that expensive, I would talk with financial aid to see if they would be willing to kick-up your budget due to being a parent (I believe they would cover daycare, at the very least). I had some car trouble a year back and financial aid gave the scratch to cover it. I'm sure they would throw some extra money at you for the kids.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't end up in one of the most expensive places in the world. Good luck.

Thanks! Yeah I probably should have looked up Valhalla and seen that it is basically New York City, but that didn't really cross my mind. I just saw the name Valhalla and pictured this

273503
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in a similar boat; married with two kids. Childcare is ASININE here as well. Just watching a single kid (old enough to handle their own bodily functions) is nearly $1k a month. Heaven help you if your have an infant.

Anyway, I couldn't fathom going to a medical school in New York or California purely because of the cost associated with living. I'm extremely happy to have gotten selected for a state school where costs can be controlled. If you only have one acceptance in a big city, tighten the belt as much as possible. But if you have a choice, pick the reasonable place.
 
I'm in a similar boat; married with two kids. Childcare is ASININE here as well. Just watching a single kid (old enough to handle their own bodily functions) is nearly $1k a month. Heaven help you if your have an infant.

Anyway, I couldn't fathom going to a medical school in New York or California purely because of the cost associated with living. I'm extremely happy to have gotten selected for a state school where costs can be controlled. If you only have one acceptance in a big city, tighten the belt as much as possible. But if you have a choice, pick the reasonable place.

I am curious how anyone with a family lives in New York or California even when they are not a student...
 
For New York, folks live in the cheaper suburbs (Jersey, upstate, Connecticut, even Philly) and have looooong commutes.

I've heard of folks getting roommates too, even as a family. This usually means renting out a guest room, or splitting a large apartment with two families. It sucks, for sure.

EDIT: Realized you mentioned NYMC - you can find cheaper suburbs outside of Valhalla for sure. I was speaking about NYC in the above example.
 
Last edited:
Someone has to work, unless childcare costs exceed wages, or if you can get CCDF childcare subsidy. You can also ask for expanded COA on the basis of childcare costs so someone can work. Also get on any kind of dole that you can, SNAP, WIC, Medicaid, housing voucher. Don’t worry, you’ll pay it all back and then some after residency. And that goes for cities with reasonable COL also. The COA at any school accounts for 1 person not 4 so you’ll have to hustle some kind of way.