How do foreign dentists teach at US schools if not allowed to practice in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a number of foreign dentists - with no dental education completed in the US - serve as instructors at dental schools. I understand some do only research but it appears some are clinical instructors.

I am just wondering how the schools go about that since foreign dentists are not allowed to practice in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a number of foreign dentists - with no dental education completed in the US - serve as instructors at dental schools. I understand some do only research but it appears some are clinical instructors.

I am just wondering how the schools go about that since foreign dentists are not allowed to practice in the US.

I am not sure who you are referring too. But there are a few FTDs in my school who teach. Most of them came to this country before the era of advanced standing. They could get their licenses by taking up licensure/board exams. So it must have been easy for them. But if they had come to this country recently, did no post-doc or advanced standing and are clinical floor instructors - it is illegal (atleast to my knowledge - I couldn't be a CFI in a hygiene school).

I am not sure who you are referring too. But there are a few FTDs in my school who teach. Most of them came to this country before the era of advanced standing. They could get their licenses by taking up licensure/board exams. So it must have been easy for them. But if they had come to this country recently, did no post-doc or advanced standing and are clinical floor instructors - it is illegal (atleast to my knowledge - I couldn't be a CFI in a hygiene school).

Hi,
ur replies seem to be informative.
I m a from INDIA.
Am i allowed to teach here in dental school, If i do ms in any clinical branch here in us?:confused: