Medical How do I become a better candidate with a low GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just graduated Fall 2019, with a B.S. in Microbiology minor in Psychology. My overall gpa 2.69 & my science gpa 2.71 /: definitely not the best.

I was thinking about completing a post-baccularate program to redo any courses I have a C in & pre-requisites for medical school (biochemistry & lab) however when signing up for the post-baccularate program it has me on a pre-psychology degree route. To complete the psychology degree I would only need 5 classes (since most of the classes I’ve taken with my minor and are transferrable) with my psychology minor I had a 3.50 overall gpa. Would obtaining a second degree help my chances with a poor Microbiology degree gpa?

I havent taken the MCAT yet, so I don’t have those stats but just want to see if obtaining the second bachelors in psychology degree is worth it or just take classes to improve my science gpa?
Schools really don’t care if you have one, two, three, or eight degrees. What they care about is how you do in your courses (GPA).

To have a chance at DO you need to get your GPA above 3.0 or higher for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With that low of a GPA in a biomedical science major (microbiology), I'm not sure what other undergrad-level courses you could still take to try to raise that science GPA up to a 3.0. SMP is probably your most time-efficient path. No bets without an MCAT, but your GPA will be scrutinized and more likely to screen you out even with a very high score.

Status
Not open for further replies.