How do I become a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

max xam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is max and i am relatively new to this forum. I live in Michigan and I am about to attend 11th grade in high school pretty soon. My first 2 years of high school weren't so great because i didn't care. I had a 3.0 GPA my sophomore year, and i think freshman year of high school was the same. I went to a different high school freshman year if that matters. I am going to try hard to get at least a 3.5 GPA from now on. I wanted to take up pharmacy because i want help people in a way, but mostly for the pay. Do you think i would stand a chance? I'm going to be honest i am not the smartest person in the school, but i am going to try very hard.

I still do not understand the process of becoming a pharmacist. All i know is high school then college then pharmacy school, correct me if I'm wrong. When i apply for college do i choose my classes myself? Are all the prerequisites the same for all pharmacy schools? Do i have to travel to the pharmacy school for the interview, like if i wanted to go to pharmacy schools in California would i have to travel there? What happens if i don't get accepted? After pharmacy school how would i pay my debt? Will i get a job right away?

Sorry for all these unorganized questions. Can someone explain to someone who doesn't know anything about life, college, pharmacy school etc.. from start to finish?

Thanks a LOT in advance. Any kind of post about this is very much appreciated. Thanks again in advance. Have a Nice Day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also is this profession dying? Will i find a job fast?

This is posted in the wrong forum.

Anyway, most of your questions will be answered in the pre-pharmacy forum under the pre-pharmacy FAQ sticky.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is posted in the wrong forum.

Anyway, most of your questions will be answered in the pre-pharmacy forum under the pre-pharmacy FAQ sticky.

Oh sorry, thanks for telling me. Is there a way i can move this?

Also is this profession dying? Will i find a job fast?

Life of pharmacy school student.

A. Graduate high school
B. Finish pre-requisites
C. Take PCAT
D. Apply & get interviewed
E. Get accepted
F. Finish 4 years of pharmacy school and get degree
G. Pass NAPLEX then 2 paths exist

Part 1: Get a position as a pharmacist either as staff or in residency program (how fast will be up to you and how well-rounded you are both in your knowledge and networking skills)
Part 2: Whine and cry on the SDN gloom & doom boards because did not get position (blames on profession dying, etc.)

Life of pharmacy school student.

A. Graduate high school
B. Finish pre-requisites
C. Take PCAT
D. Apply & get interviewed
E. Get accepted
F. Finish 4 years of pharmacy school and get degree
G. Pass NAPLEX then 2 paths exist

Part 1: Get a position as a pharmacist either as staff or in residency program (how fast will be up to you and how well-rounded you are both in your knowledge and networking skills)
Part 2: Whine and cry on the SDN gloom & doom boards because did not get position (blames on profession dying, etc.)

Parts C and D could also be eliminated if you do a 0-6 program, where you'd start right out of high school, take prerequisites and then proceed to pharmacy school without reapplying provided that you maintain the minimum required GPA (if these still exist by the time you apply). This way you get your PharmD in 6 years.