How do I choose a pre-health/pre-med organization to join in college?

Sep 13, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
My college offers several organizations and I'm hoping to join at least one, but I'm not sure how to choose since they're all different; some are larger groups than others, or for a more specific population. I'm looking at:
Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honors Society
Alpha Delta Minority Pre-Health Organization
Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students
Medically Dedicated Student Organization (Pre-health)

I'm trying to attend the first meeting of each organization, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. So far I've only been to MAPS and I accidentally missed the AED meeting (but I got the gist of it from someone else). How do I know which one is right for me or will help me the most when applying to schools later on?

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
The one you feel the best in (none if you do not feel great about any of them). It's not which organization, rather what you do in them.

DrHart

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
And to add, you don't have to join any if you don't want to. Many students are pre-med and go on to be accepted by medical schools without joining a pre-med club. My advice would be to join clubs you're genuinely interested in, whether they be academic, special interest, service based, etc.

About the Ads

holdthemayo

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2014
Ysllodins
Status
Medical Student
. How do I know which one is right for me or will help me the most when applying to schools later on?
You are way overthinking this. Go to the one that you feel most comfortable with at the meetings/you make friends at. If you are too busy, don't join any of them. Medical schools will not care if you were part of a premed society or not, so only join if you feel like you are getting something out of it.

emkayveedee

5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Organization name doesn't matter, leadership positions do. Pick your favorite, try to get on the e-board at some point or even just a director position.

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Will add to leadership: asking current members. Everyone in my school's PHiDE will tell you they hate it. That's not true of this organization at all schools.

speedwalker

don't @ me
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
None of them matter really. If you need volunteering opportunities, then join the one that has the most volunteering group opportunities. If you need shadowing, then join the one that has opportunities for shadowing. If you need leadership, then join the one where you have most friends in so they can vote for you next year. If you have all of those, then you don't need to join any.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
AED at my school is absolute garbage. I'm not in any sort of pre-med/pre-health group.

Reactions: Turkishking

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
And to add, you don't have to join any if you don't want to. Many students are pre-med and go on to be accepted by medical schools without joining a pre-med club. My advice would be to join clubs you're genuinely interested in, whether they be academic, special interest, service based, etc.
Agreed. I don't waste time joining clubs like that. Instead I run a club, and also devote most of my time to non-clinical and clinical volunteering

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
Unless you're cool with throwing away a good chunk of your free time, these clubs are mostly worthless.

If you want, you can attend some of their events that you think might be helpful depending on how much you know about navigating your way through college as a premed.

Once you learn the fundamentals of what it takes to be successful, there's no need.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Write all of their names on index cards and then put them in a paper bag. Throw that bag in the recycling and thank me later when you realize you didn't waste your time.

Reactions: bananafish94

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
Write all of their names on index cards and then put them in a paper bag. Throw that bag in the recycling and thank me later when you realize you didn't waste your time.
What about the time he spent writing out the names tho? I'd avoid wasting that too.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What about the time he spent writing out the names tho? I'd avoid wasting that too.
Make it a thought exercise. Problem solved.

Reactions: Dox4lyfe
About the Ads