How do I choose a pre-health/pre-med organization to join in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asiun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college offers several organizations and I'm hoping to join at least one, but I'm not sure how to choose since they're all different; some are larger groups than others, or for a more specific population. I'm looking at:
Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honors Society
Alpha Delta Minority Pre-Health Organization
Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students
Medically Dedicated Student Organization (Pre-health)

I'm trying to attend the first meeting of each organization, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. So far I've only been to MAPS and I accidentally missed the AED meeting (but I got the gist of it from someone else). How do I know which one is right for me or will help me the most when applying to schools later on?

Members don't see this ad.

The one you feel the best in (none if you do not feel great about any of them). It's not which organization, rather what you do in them.

And to add, you don't have to join any if you don't want to. Many students are pre-med and go on to be accepted by medical schools without joining a pre-med club. My advice would be to join clubs you're genuinely interested in, whether they be academic, special interest, service based, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
. How do I know which one is right for me or will help me the most when applying to schools later on?

You are way overthinking this. Go to the one that you feel most comfortable with at the meetings/you make friends at. If you are too busy, don't join any of them. Medical schools will not care if you were part of a premed society or not, so only join if you feel like you are getting something out of it.

Organization name doesn't matter, leadership positions do. Pick your favorite, try to get on the e-board at some point or even just a director position.

Will add to leadership: asking current members. Everyone in my school's PHiDE will tell you they hate it. That's not true of this organization at all schools.

AED at my school is absolute garbage. I'm not in any sort of pre-med/pre-health group.

Reactions: 1 user
And to add, you don't have to join any if you don't want to. Many students are pre-med and go on to be accepted by medical schools without joining a pre-med club. My advice would be to join clubs you're genuinely interested in, whether they be academic, special interest, service based, etc.
Agreed. I don't waste time joining clubs like that. Instead I run a club, and also devote most of my time to non-clinical and clinical volunteering

Unless you're cool with throwing away a good chunk of your free time, these clubs are mostly worthless.

If you want, you can attend some of their events that you think might be helpful depending on how much you know about navigating your way through college as a premed.

Once you learn the fundamentals of what it takes to be successful, there's no need.

Write all of their names on index cards and then put them in a paper bag. Throw that bag in the recycling and thank me later when you realize you didn't waste your time.
What about the time he spent writing out the names tho? I'd avoid wasting that too.