How do I do this? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mi Chiamo Tiff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys, so this is my situation. I'm currently 15 credits away from my undegrad in psychology. I have completed some pre-reqs. I still need chemistry, organic chem, and physics. I currently am living in Japan, with my husband who is in the Navy. There are no schools here that offer the chemistry or physics. I'm here for 3 years. I could look into taking these classes online, along with the labs. I could email the schools specifically and ask if they accept online classes..but, I'm honestly kinda nervous about taking these classes online. I'd prefer a face to face.

My alternative is to wait until I return to the states in 3 years and do a post-bac. That could make my application stronger. Downside is I'd have to put off medical school for another 2 years, but I'd be better prepared in the long-run. The extra time in Japan, while I'm not taking classes, could be spent volunteering and/or hopefully earning some hands on experience in the hospital here.

Going back to the states early isn't an option.

What do you think? Are there options I haven't considered?

Members don't see this ad.

ok guys, so this is my situation. I'm currently 15 credits away from my undegrad in psychology. I have completed some pre-reqs. I still need chemistry, organic chem, and physics. I currently am living in Japan, with my husband who is in the Navy. There are no schools here that offer the chemistry or physics. I'm here for 3 years. I could look into taking these classes online, along with the labs. I could email the schools specifically and ask if they accept online classes..but, I'm honestly kinda nervous about taking these classes online. I'd prefer a face to face.

My alternative is to wait until I return to the states in 3 years and do a post-bac. That could make my application stronger. Downside is I'd have to put off medical school for another 2 years, but I'd be better prepared in the long-run. The extra time in Japan, while I'm not taking classes, could be spent volunteering and/or hopefully earning some hands on experience in the hospital here.

Going back to the states early isn't an option.

What do you think? Are there options I haven't considered?
Keeping in mind that AMCAS doesn't accept foreign transcripts, see page 25 of this AMCAS instruction manual that has a list of international schools recognized by AMCAS as not foreign due to affiliation with a US university: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf .

The first one mentioned is Akita Campus of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, a brick and mortar school in Japan. I don't know if the program is still active or if they offer science classes and labs. But as the page says, the list is not exhaustive and there may be others in Japan that qualify. Do some research, maybe call AMCAS and ask if they know of other programs.

my university is a stateside regionally accredited university so my degree will not be considered a foreign degree. I'm with the Univ. Of MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping in mind that AMCAS doesn't accept foreign transcripts, see page 25 of this AMCAS instruction manual that has a list of international schools recognized by AMCAS as not foreign due to affiliation with a US university: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf .

The first one mentioned is Akita Campus of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, a brick and mortar school in Japan. I don't know if the program is still active or if they offer science classes and labs. But as the page says, the list is not exhaustive and there may be others in Japan that qualify. Do some research, maybe call AMCAS and ask if they know of other programs.

great, I will check out those schools, thank you. Just to clarify, these are universities in Japan (possibly) that the AMCAS will consider acceptable for credits?

You might consider emailing the 12-14 med schools you'd be most likely to target and ask their current policy for an applicant in your position, ie service-related geographic limitations in finding a school, regarding distance learning credits in general and for the science prerequisites.

Due to your specific situation, perhaps some would find it acceptable to take the classroom portion on-line and you could take the labs on return to the states. You don't need the labs to take the MCAT. And the lab credit could potentially be earned in your application year (there are some schools that want all the credits earned before application, but most are fine if it's earned prior to matriculation).

great, I will check out those schools, thank you. Just to clarify, these are universities in Japan (possibly) that the AMCAS will consider acceptable for credits?
I am hoping there are other US-affiliated programs close to where you live that would qualify as nonforeign. Some of those on the list don't give a country. Perhaps you could google them and see where they are. But it's possible there are others that are small or new that are not mentioned in the AMCAS PDF. It will take some detective work for you to find them.

You could also check websites of Japanese schools local for you to see if US affiliations are listed or in the works.

hmm ok I can check that out. I had no idea such places existed (finding an American school in Japan). I've emailed two schools thus far, both of which have replied that they require traditional in class attendance. I'm hoping that's not the response for all of them, but those were my top two...so...

any thoughts on a post-bac?

hmm ok I can check that out. I had no idea such places existed (finding an American school in Japan). I've emailed two schools thus far, both of which have replied that they require traditional in class attendance. I'm hoping that's not the response for all of them, but those were my top two...so...

any thoughts on a post-bac?
If you refer to a formal postbac, these are very helpful if you can afford them. Attending one with linkage to a med school can be even better. The high price tag tends to come with excellent counseling, access to high quality LORs, and opportunities to buff up your ECs if lacking.

If cash is an issue, you can just as well do an informal postbac at your local state school on returning to the US and find the opportunities, counseling, and LORs on your own.