How do I answer this prompt? Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poorq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I have a shadowing op that requires me to write an essay about which career I would go into if I weren't going to be a doctor. I understand that its a common interview question, and there's probably other posts similar to this, but I'm a bit strapped on time. I'm stuck on choosing between a psychologist, a teacher abroad, or an artist. If I choose to write about being a psychologist, I'm afraid that it may be too similar to a doctor. Also, I was contemplating writing about one of my really close friends in high school who killed himself. He talked to me about his depression, and I realized that I enjoyed counseling people, but I'm afraid it's too insensitive to talk about. I could also write about becoming a teacher abroad. I've always enjoyed traveling and the job seems pretty interesting to me. Or I could do art, which I've enjoyed since I was a kid. I also wrote my college admission essay on it, so I can probably pull some stuff from there. Any help is appreciated, some tips on how to write it would also be nice. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any help is appreciated, some tips on how to write it would also be nice. Thanks :)
I had a friend who also committed suicide in high school, 2 actually, and I was close to it as well in freshman year. IMO I wouldn't think it's insensitive to talk about because it deeply moved you and shaped your goals and dreams today. Don't mention it too lightly, but after setting it up and framing it, then I would introduce it gently. Maybe like, "A career path not involving medicine that has always interested me is one of a psychologist. The counseling and helpful nature of the job suits my attributes and personal goals that I've developed from an experience with a close friend of mine in high school. Through talking with him about his depression, he helped me realize the passion I have for counseling and helping people." Just purely an example. Not the best writing by any means, but I think it would be good to frame it in that sort of way instead of dropping it down.

I don't know for sure if this is a good move, I've only shadowed a few doctors so far, but hopefully this helps! :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
Funny enough, I find psychology extremely interesting and I also feel like education and promoting learning in others is a huge benefit to not only themselves but society as a whole. I would spin the essay into following my interests in psychology and the need that people have that is often ignored by most of society etc etc. Then I would spin it into some education role teaching what I love to others or something.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think all are good professions to write about if you can write passionately about them. Here's my thoughts on each:
1. Psychologist: could give you an opportunity to talk about a moving experience and what skills you possess which would suit you for this position, empathy/listening/etc. You could potentially be repeating things said in your shadowing application already.
2. Teacher abroad: if you're interested in academic medicine, this could be a neat spin which ties it back to medicine as your true passion.
3. Artist: this would be my favorite choice because it highlights a hobby and it's something you can still realistically pursue as a physician. I think this would make you stand out the most because it's different, and won't make someone wonder if you chose the wrong career.

Last edited:
Hello! So I have a shadowing op that requires me to write an essay about which career I would go into if I weren't going to be a doctor. I understand that its a common interview question, and there's probably other posts similar to this, but I'm a bit strapped on time. I'm stuck on choosing between a psychologist, a teacher abroad, or an artist. If I choose to write about being a psychologist, I'm afraid that it may be too similar to a doctor. Also, I was contemplating writing about one of my really close friends in high school who killed himself. He talked to me about his depression, and I realized that I enjoyed counseling people, but I'm afraid it's too insensitive to talk about. I could also write about becoming a teacher abroad. I've always enjoyed traveling and the job seems pretty interesting to me. Or I could do art, which I've enjoyed since I was a kid. I also wrote my college admission essay on it, so I can probably pull some stuff from there. Any help is appreciated, some tips on how to write it would also be nice. Thanks :)
Just talk out your answer into a digital voice recorder and transcribe.

Thanks for all your responses, they really helped me outline my essay :)

Reactions: 1 user