How do I effectively shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gorophilic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Spending the summer between MS1 and MS2 doing research in a competitive surgical subspecialty at a prestigious institution down south. I'm shadowing some of the surgeons in the department and was wondering how do I leave a great impression while shadowing and not just be in the way? Is there any way I can behave proactively or is this largely just dependent on the surgeon and how he or she interacts with you. Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't get in the way, don't do anything annoying, and try to be relatively unobtrusive. No one will remember a shadowing medical student, and if they do, it's likely not going to be positively. As a shadow you are there to observe and learn, not actively participate. Be willing to do what is asked of you if you get lucky and someone wants you to participate (and if you don't know how to do it, which as a first year med student is very reasonable, tell them that you don't know but you'd love to learn), but don't go in with that expectation.

Reactions: 8 users
Just don't get in the way, don't do anything annoying, and try to be relatively unobtrusive. No one will remember a shadowing medical student, and if they do, it's likely not going to be positively. As a shadow you are there to observe and learn, not actively participate. Be willing to do what is asked of you if you get lucky and someone wants you to participate (and if you don't know how to do it, which as a first year med student is very reasonable, tell them that you don't know but you'd love to learn), but don't go in with that expectation.

Thank you! I appreciate your advice, definitely sounds manageable. It's disappointing that I'll be spending my summer here being not remembered. Hopefully someone remembers me doing all of this b**** work for their abstract. Also the chief of the department worked under my mom back in the day which is how I made my introduction in the first place. But I'm hoping to make enough of an impression to at least be remembered when it comes time to apply for away rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I appreciate your advice, definitely sounds manageable. It's disappointing that I'll be spending my summer here being not remembered. Hopefully someone remembers me doing all of this b**** work for their abstract. Also the chief of the department worked under my mom back in the day which is how I made my introduction in the first place. But I'm hoping to make enough of an impression to at least be remembered when it comes time to apply for away rotations.
Well yes, hopefully they remember you for your work on the research but you asked about shadowing.

Reactions: 4 users
Well yes, hopefully they remember you for your work on the research but you asked about shadowing.

Your point? I believe i mentioned research in the first sentence. Not like my question was 'how can I be remembered for shadowing?'...

But ya... what I'm taking from this is just don't get in the way.

Your point? I believe i mentioned research in the first sentence. Not like my question was 'how can I be remembered for shadowing?'...

If you come across in real life the way you come across over the internet, maybe don't say anything either.

Reactions: 13 users

You did in fact say

wondering how do I leave a great impression while shadowing

Leaving an impression implies being remembered, so I'm confused as to why you're triggered.

To answer your question, it is incredibly surgeon dependent. I've shadowed physicians who had me tag along and didnt say a word and others who sat down and explained every single case and procedure to me. You'll easily be able to tell which kind you're observing after some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
You did in fact say

Leaving an impression implies being remembered, so I'm confused as to why you're triggered.

To answer your question, it is incredibly surgeon dependent. I've shadowed physicians who had me tag along and didnt say a word and others who sat down and explained every single case and procedure to me. You'll easily be able to tell which kind you're observing after some time.

I'm not at all triggered... Just reminded why I hate posting on SDN... Semantic police. I was hoping my post would be taken as a whole.

Any way, I figured it would be surgeon dependent. The main guy seems very friendly over e-mail so I hope that is a good sign that they will be engaging. Thanks all.

Your insults sustain me

My post was mostly serious. I didn't get the sense that you were triggered/angry, but your posts came across pretty abrasively. "Competitive surgical subspecialties" are all small worlds, everyone knows everyone, and people talk about students more than you might expect - you don't want to rub somebody the wrong way by accident.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, you mentioned the research, but your thread title and 75% of what you wrote concerned how to make a good impression while shadowing. You then expressed disappointment at WedgeDawg's response (which was exclusively about shadowing) because you were concerned you won't be remembered for all the work you put in on the abstract. I was pointing out that you were taking away a message that WedgeDawg clearly did not deliver because it was the answer to a question you did not ask. This isn't "the semantic police."

My post was mostly serious. I didn't get the sense that you were triggered/angry, but your posts came across pretty abrasively. "Competitive surgical subspecialties" are all small worlds, everyone knows everyone, and people talk about students more than you might expect - you don't want to rub somebody the wrong way by accident.

My posts were abrasive? Did I hurt someone's feelings? You're the one who came through with the condescending statement to someone about whom you know literally nothing. I've networked my entire professional career without rubbing too many people the wrong way.

I am beyond done with this thread. Thanks @WedgeDawg for the relevant statements.

My posts were abrasive? Did I hurt someone's feelings? You're the one who came through with the condescending statement to someone about whom you know literally nothing. I've networked my entire professional career without rubbing too many people the wrong way.

I am beyond done with this thread. Thanks @WedgeDawg for the relevant statements.

Beautifully done. Lack of awareness, uncalled for sarcasm, inaccurate accusations, self-aggrandizement, abrasiveness, and finally capping it off with passive aggressiveness. Not a single sentence in your response was wasted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Beautifully done. Lack of awareness, uncalled for sarcasm, inaccurate accusations, self-aggrandizement, abrasiveness, and finally capping it off with passive aggressiveness. Not a single sentence in your response was wasted.

200.gif

Last edited:
You should be yourself...then come back and let us know how that goes

Reactions: 2 users

Calm down! I'm the one who's supposed to be salty!