How do I fill FAFSA parental info if my parents live overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents live overseas and this country does not have tax returns or anything like that to verify income. Do I need to input my parents info in this case and how is it verified?

Also, is it even necessary to include their info because I am considered an "independent student" by FAFSA standards? I am not sure if med schools require it regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

If they are us citizens, they need to file taxes irrespective of their current residence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check with the med schools you’re sending it to if they need parent info because you’re considered independent! Some schools don’t require it or some only require it once (and if they do maybe you can work with them to send alternative documents that show income)

Like wysdoc mentioned, I do not believe any non-resident can file FAFSA or get any federal funding. Speaking with your medical school can help answer any questions about the process.

Read the FAFSA site guidelines to see if you are eligible to apply. Some noncitizens are eligible, depending on the type of visa.
Financial Aid Eligibility
Like wysdoc mentioned, I do not believe any non-resident can file FAFSA or get any federal funding. Speaking with your medical school can help answer any questions about the process.

I know that if I file FAFSA I won't get federal funding as an international student. But I was told that to be considered for merit aid at most schools you need to file it. Is this not true?

I know that if I file FAFSA I won't get federal funding as an international student. But I was told that to be considered for merit aid at most schools you need to file it. Is this not true?

I'm not sure. I would talk with medical schools to know for sure.

That sounds like general advice that just doesn't make any sense in your case.

I know for UG they make us file FAFSA to be eligible for merit because they want to make sure we receive every federal dollar we are entitled to before they give us institutional money, but, since grad students are not eligible for federal grants and international non-residents are not eligible for federal loans, it makes no sense to force you file a FAFSA to be eligible for merit aid.

An even better question for you to ask would be whether foreign students are even eligible for institutional aid, since the answer might be no in some cases, which solves the issue right there. Since I'm sure there are very few foreign non-residents in US med schools, you might be an exception to whatever rule they have, so you need to ask each school specifically how to proceed, since there really is no process for a foreign, non-US taxpayer to file a FAFSA, since, as you said in your OP, they have no ability to validate anything you give them.

Reactions: 1 user