How do I find clinical volunteering/shadowing experience (non-trad)???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zukunft195

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work a 9-5 (non-healthcare) job and take pre-med classes every weekday evening. I'm only available to volunteer/shadow on weekends.

How do I find volunteering/shadowing experiences? I've called all of the hospitals in my area, and they either only accommodate the schedules of undergrads (i.e., random times in the morning and afternoon on weekdays), or they only have non-clinical positions (e.g., gift shop staff and filing). What's my next step?

And how do I get in touch with doctors? I'm specifically looking for DOs -- and there don't seem to be that many of them in my area. How do I reach them? Should I be calling their offices and telling their receptionists that I want to shadow? Do I pass along handwritten notes and copies of my CV?

This part of the process is honestly stressing me out more than the coursework and the MCAT. I'd really appreciate anybody's input on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump!

Looking for answers here too. More so about the shadowing. But I can definitely relate to the feeling of being stressed about finding shadowing opportunities more than prerequisites or the mcat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I found all of my shadowing opportunities through hobbies I do (music, martial arts, hiking). If I wanted more I would have reached out to people in my network - as an older student, I have friends from high school who are now residents and attendings, family friends, etc.

Your volunteering doesn't need to be clinical, it's just that that conveniently checks off 2 boxes at once. I did non-clinical volunteering because I felt like it made a bigger impact, and then got clinical experience via shadowing and an EMS job.

Members don't see this ad :)
At home hospice is great - you can negotiate the hours with your patient, and it works well for patients. (you do respite care.) If they have a doc, you can try to shadow through them but get the volunteer gig first.

EDs are a great source for a non-trads schedule. They are open 24hrs and always staffed with attendings. I did over 500 hours doing 8-midnight or 10pm-2am shifts. If they don't take volunteers then look into scribe programs.

I work a 9-5 (non-healthcare) job and take pre-med classes every weekday evening. I'm only available to volunteer/shadow on weekends.

How do I find volunteering/shadowing experiences? I've called all of the hospitals in my area, and they either only accommodate the schedules of undergrads (i.e., random times in the morning and afternoon on weekdays), or they only have non-clinical positions (e.g., gift shop staff and filing). What's my next step?

And how do I get in touch with doctors? I'm specifically looking for DOs -- and there don't seem to be that many of them in my area. How do I reach them? Should I be calling their offices and telling their receptionists that I want to shadow? Do I pass along handwritten notes and copies of my CV?

This part of the process is honestly stressing me out more than the coursework and the MCAT. I'd really appreciate anybody's input on this matter.

Hi,
I am in the same boat and reached out to a few sources. I was told to contact the Osteopathic Medicine Association in my state and as there first. See if there is a set list of Physicians/DO's who are willing to take on an observer. I have also done an internet search for DO's in my area who have a private practice and will be contacting a few close to me.

Hi,
I am in the same boat and reached out to a few sources. I was told to contact the Osteopathic Medicine Association in my state and as there first. See if there is a set list of Physicians/DO's who are willing to take on an observer. I have also done an internet search for DO's in my area who have a private practice and will be contacting a few close to me.

Have you tried contacting them? Did they help you out?

Have you tried contacting them? Did they help you out?
I barely emailed them on friday and hoping for a response soon. I wanted to try this avenue before asking one my the doctors at my job since they are in-house physicians, work policy may not allow it.