How do I get back in the game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustanH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time-lurker and really have enjoyed learning a lot from existing posts.

I am a 34-year old who is thinking about getting back into the medical career path. Back in undergrad (at a large state school known for its science and engineering), I was pre-med for three years, but decided that it wasn't for me at the time since I didn't find the material interesting or I was really just too lazy to put in the work. Since graduating, I obtained master's degree from an Ivy League in a humanities field and have been working for the government since then for one of the big 3-letter agencies.

I have really enjoyed my job, but I cannot let go of the interest that first led me to pre-med when I was 18. The question I have is: how can I get myself back on track to get into a medical school down the line? My undergrad. GPA was pretty bad, I had a 2.9 overall and a 2.5 in sciences (due to failing multiple math classes). I got into an Ivy League graduate program because my non-science GPA was pretty outstanding as were my GREs. I took the MCAT 10 years ago and got a 29.

I wonder if there is anyway to erase or mitigate my bad grades from when I was a kid (relatively speaking). I have been successful in my career in the government and am highly regarded. I am now a family man with two young children and I have no doubt that my work ethic has evolved dramatically from when I was in college, so I feel like I should give it another go, but I don't know where to begin. Should I look into post-bacc programs? Just take science classes? Be realistic and not waste my time?

I appreciate any insights.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think about a diy post bac and take any C and below over if possible and I wish you the best and if being a physician is what you really want then I would not give up that dream

I've seen the term thrown around, does this refer to building your own post-bacc by just taking classes? Would I not be qualified for some of the good post-baccs because I was already pre-med?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen the term thrown around, does this refer to building your own post-bacc by just taking classes? Would I not be qualified for some of the good post-baccs because I was already pre-med?
I would look at the post bac/smp threads and many people have taken a post bac and did well I think it depends on the person and what program.

simplest would be to go back and take the pre-reqs (and a few strategic retakes) at your local CC/university.....you clearly test well and would probably have a strong DO chance very soon

the formal post-back SMPs would require quitting work and are really an "all or nothing" approach...if you fail out there, you could be done for good

Reactions: 1 users
If you're interested in it, DO will be a better shot and will allow you to retake some classes for grade replacement which should help the BCPM GPA tons.

I am certainly open to the DO path, I do not want to go to the Caribbean, I could have done that 12 years ago...

I've been doing some research, and I can't really find a post-bacc program that is for failed pre-medicals like myself. They seem to be aimed more at people who either need to enhance an already good record or those who are switching fields. I know that it was advised to avoid a full-time post-bacc, but I'd rather go into a total program because I think it would be easier for me to stay focused.

How did you get a 29 if you did so poorly in sciences? Also---how many science classes did you take?