How do I get out of retail? Residency the way to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asus123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have practiced as a retail pharmacist for 6 years, and I can honestly say that I feel less inspired every day. Sure, the money is great. But from the low staffing levels to insane metrics, from techs with attitude to unrealistic corporate expectations, from working nights and weekends to having to “take off” work just for the holidays, I am really sick of the retail BS. The problem is....I do not have any experience as a pharmacist in any other practice setting. Most jobs nowadays require residency training.

I'm at that point of my life where I don't want to work nights and weekends anymore, too.

I was thinking about scrambling for a residency this year, though I don't think my chances are high. If I were lucky enough to get one, it would most likely be in a weak program in the middle of nowhere, (which is no problem if it is only for 1 year and leads to many more job prospects). Any suggestions on how I should transition out of retail pharmacy? Is residency the way to go? If yes, should I scramble for one this year or wait until next year (while also increasing my qualifications in the meantime)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.!

Members don't see this ad.

Start looking for hospital gigs in the middle of nowhere. If they're desperate they will be willing to train you. Find a hospital affiliated with a large system. Get some experience and transfer out. I know a few people that have gone this route.

From experience I've seen several retail RPh transition to hospital successfully. For the most part, the retail guys can multi task and have better work habits, but their knowledge can be really really bad.

Being a resident or an inpatient pharmacists is the worst possible transition if you "don't want to work nights and weekends anymore"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.
I have practiced as a retail pharmacist for 6 years, and I can honestly say that I feel less inspired every day. Sure, the money is great. But from the low staffing levels to insane metrics, from techs with attitude to unrealistic corporate expectations, from working nights and weekends to having to “take off” work just for the holidays, I am really sick of the retail BS. The problem is....I do not have any experience as a pharmacist in any other practice setting. Most jobs nowadays require residency training.

I'm at that point of my life where I don't want to work nights and weekends anymore, too.

I was thinking about scrambling for a residency this year, though I don't think my chances are high. If I were lucky enough to get one, it would most likely be in a weak program in the middle of nowhere, (which is no problem if it is only for 1 year and leads to many more job prospects). Any suggestions on how I should transition out of retail pharmacy? Is residency the way to go? If yes, should I scramble for one this year or wait until next year (while also increasing my qualifications in the meantime)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.!

What I did was work every single day off as a relief in the independents in my area.

Most "relief" guys aren't worth the paper their licenses were printed on.

If you show up and absolutely kill it, the owners will take note.

Probably the same with hospital

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone.

You gotta take some risks if you want out. I second the other poster...start by applying to hospital jobs in areas that you think might be hard to fill. As for residency, I don't think anyone is going to even take a look at your application to be honest. You've been too far removed from school and relevant knowledge base.

I don’t think you are even qualified to apply for residency anymore.

Most people don't want to do this. Which means... the M-F 9-5 jobs are always the first to be taken. There are a few of us crazies who like to work PM (not graveyard) because we can avoid traffic and do productive things during the day, but for sure not the majority. When you want something everyone wants, it's gonna be hard to get.

I agree with most people, you won't be competitive against new grads applying for residency. You may be able to match in middle of nowhere, but at that point... why even consider doing a residency? Just work at a small hospital in MON for a few years, get board certified and you'll be more competitive to apply to jobs in the metro/large town areas.

Most people starting out in hospitals will have to work variable shifts, but typically not graveyard, which has a completely different workflow. The majority of regular pharmacists (benefited, not per diem) has to work alternating weekends because people get sick and come to the hospitals during the weekend. In rare cases, you may be able to staff weekend once a month if there are the crazies (like me) who like working weekends in your pharmacy, but it's rare.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone.

Get your BCPS

Well, a big reason i want to do residency is because a part of me wants to do amb care. Not sure how feasible that is at this point in my career...

Another thought. Consider applying to VA and other DoD pharmacy positions. Most have some component of clinical pharmacy, allowing you to qualify for BCACP or BCPS. With either of these credentials, you would be eligible to apply for a Patient Centered Medical Home position. These positions are ambulatory clinical pharmacists, seldom work weekends (may work alternate work schedules for 3day or 4 day weekends). Plenty of routes to where you want to go. None of them are easy or quick. You'll have to position your self to be ready when an opportunity presents itself.

I agree with others; apply to hospital roles and be prepared for flexibility. If you are willing to scramble, ensure your CV/extracurriculars/mentors/clinical skills presentation/etc are polished and ready to go.

I was looking in rural New Mexico, as middle-of-nowhere as you get, and every hospital job required experience - I'm not sure if even a ****ty hospital job is a feasible option anymore for retail people.

Thanks for the replies guys. How is the job market nowadays for residency graduates? I guess my worse nightmare is that after residency, I may have trouble finding a job in a metropolitan area. I really don't want to live in rural locations....

Thanks for the replies guys. How is the job market nowadays for residency graduates? I guess my worse nightmare is that after residency, I may have trouble finding a job in a metropolitan area. I really don't want to live in rural locations....

The job market for residency graduates is not very kind for those who have specific hour and location requirements.

I'm pretty sure many inpatient hospital pharmacists have rotating schedules for the most part and still have to work weekends, maybe even nights. Some small hospitals have outpatient pharmacies that close on the weekends, same with independents and ambulatory. You might have better luck there if you don't want to work weekends

I'm pretty sure many inpatient hospital pharmacists have rotating schedules for the most part and still have to work weekends, maybe even nights. Some small hospitals have outpatient pharmacies that close on the weekends, same with independents and ambulatory. You might have better luck there if you don't want to work weekends

Or just just get out of pharmacy and healthcare all together? (Then you probably won’t work @&?k*d up hours?)

You might have to take some online or ground classes and you might start off a little low in salary. But you should look at the long run and how you want to live your life or what’s important.

The next job might start a little low, but when you’re on top of mountain A you have to climb down to get to the top of mountain B. And while you’re figuring things out, this time around don’t just look at money. Everyone needs and wants money to live at a certain standard, but how much is enough?(research says ~$70k)Look at benefits, time off, possibilities of being in a nice area in said career field, as well as job security.

Also ask yourself “Is this something I can do?” “Can I do this for 20 years?” And, “Do I see older people in this position or is it just young graduates?” “Does living with a schedule like this make me happy?” “Will I regret that I worked like this, on weekends, holidays, etc, when I’m at the end of my life?”(just google top 10 regrets of the dying)