How do I get publications in ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merlin0082

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a third year, looking to apply next year to ophthalmology. I think my step 1 score of 241 is adequate.. but my research is lacking. I did one summer of it, didn't get a paper out of it.

I want to do some research to get some papers. So I have a 4 week elective period that I can try to do it in, as well as a few weeks off for winter break.

My question is--how do I find places that I can pump out some papers? I know of people who said they have done research in their 3rd year and got papers before applying. My question is how???! I'm willing to do anything/go wherever during this year to do the research but I'm a little confused on where to start.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm a third year, looking to apply next year to ophthalmology. I think my step 1 score of 241 is adequate.. but my research is lacking. I did one summer of it, didn't get a paper out of it.

I want to do some research to get some papers. So I have a 4 week elective period that I can try to do it in, as well as a few weeks off for winter break.

My question is--how do I find places that I can pump out some papers? I know of people who said they have done research in their 3rd year and got papers before applying. My question is how???! I'm willing to do anything/go wherever during this year to do the research but I'm a little confused on where to start.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Ask around your department for anyone who needs help with a clinical project. Your time frame is not practical for producing a quality pub. You might be able to submit a case report in that time frame, but meaningful research takes months to years.

Look into the faculty at your program and find someone that gets published often. Seek them out and ask to do a project with them or tag on to an existing one. 4 weeks would be good to get started but you are going to have to work on this at night and weekends to finish it. It isn't a quick process.

I think the best option for you is a retrospective chart review. Use that time off to get IRB and then do the chart review after hours. Approach them early though. Like I said nothing happens quick usually.

In addition to the above advice, I would recommend letting some of the residents at your home institution know you are interested in either starting your own project or helping somebody with an existing project. They often have connections and/or ideas.

Sometimes you'll be put on as an author if you hop on board an existing project and help out. Residents would be willing to let you hop on board if you make their lives easier and their workload in the research less. That is often a quicker way to get a publication than starting from scratch. However, you won't be 1st author on those. But it can be a nice way to get stuff on your application quickly.