How Do I Get Shadowing Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealestDeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year of college, and currently, I am volunteering in hematology, neurosciences, and the ER. I really want to start shadowing, but I'm not sure how to. Do I just look up surgeons and email them?

Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, it's best you visit the doctors and ask them face to face. It makes your case more personal. Doing cold calls is okay but you definitely will have less success than meeting them face to face.

Even better, see if your school's pre-health office or pre-med organizations have any connections. These contacts are almost certainly out there as you probably aren't the first pre-med student to pass through your university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even better, see if your school's pre-health office or pre-med organizations have any connections. These contacts are almost certainly out there as you probably aren't the first pre-med student to pass through your university.

This is preferable to a cold call. You can at least begin your conversation with "I'm a fellow alumnus interested in a career in medicine." The implicit camaraderie will go a long way in breaking the ice and make your first conversation much easier.

OP- I highly recommend this advice. Cold calling will waste a lot of time because doctors are extremely busy (as you know) and don't have time to return every phone call by a pre-med wanting to shadow them.

I second the advice about talking to your premed office/clubs. You might also be able to find opps through your volunteering, though I'm not sure how well that'll work.

You could also cold-call/cold-email. Don't expect a lot of positive responses, but this is easy and it works more often than you might think. It did for me.

Try volunteer work at your local hospital, network and most likely you will find a Dr who will let you shadow him/her.