How Do I Get Shadowing Opportunities?

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
  1. Medical Student
    Actually, it's best you visit the doctors and ask them face to face. It makes your case more personal. Doing cold calls is okay but you definitely will have less success than meeting them face to face.

About the Ads

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
    Apr 17, 2012
    1. Medical Student
      Even better, see if your school's pre-health office or pre-med organizations have any connections. These contacts are almost certainly out there as you probably aren't the first pre-med student to pass through your university.

This is preferable to a cold call. You can at least begin your conversation with "I'm a fellow alumnus interested in a career in medicine." The implicit camaraderie will go a long way in breaking the ice and make your first conversation much easier.

OP- I highly recommend this advice. Cold calling will waste a lot of time because doctors are extremely busy (as you know) and don't have time to return every phone call by a pre-med wanting to shadow them.

cal2012

5+ Year Member
      Feb 15, 2010
      1. Pre-Medical
        I second the advice about talking to your premed office/clubs. You might also be able to find opps through your volunteering, though I'm not sure how well that'll work.

You could also cold-call/cold-email. Don't expect a lot of positive responses, but this is easy and it works more often than you might think. It did for me.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.