How do I go about looking for externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I go about looking for externships?

Members don't see this ad.

Just contact the programs you're interested in. Most are glad to have you because it's a chance for them to "sell" their programs to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can visit the websites of schools and search for externships that they offer.

toofache32 said:
Just contact the programs you're interested in. Most are glad to have you because it's a chance for them to "sell" their programs to you.
What he said. Calling is the best way to get information quickly and easily...

toofache32 said:

Why would they want to sell their program? Wouldn't they have plenty of people applying already? Perhaps they want to sell it as a way to show-off how amazing they are?

Oh yeah, I'm a DS1. Think I'm jumping the guns a bit?

jk5177 said:

Yes. Most students wait until after their second year b/c at that point you are somewhat educated and can do extractions, etc. Before then you don't know **** from shinola about anything and just follow residents around and annoy them all day. Wait until after second year or its pretty much a waste as far as impressing anybody and trying to earn a spot. It may, however, enlighten you as to the day to day activities of a resident and help you decide if you really want to subject yourself to that or not. However, many/most programs require that you are at least third year, unless you have some connections somehow.

What LSR said. Even if programs let you extern as a D1 (no sure thing most places, as I understand), you won't be able to do anything. For now, concentrate on your grades, and worry about externships once you're ready for the clinics.

jk5177 said:
Why would they want to sell their program? Wouldn't they have plenty of people applying already? Perhaps they want to sell it as a way to show-off how amazing they are?

I think its better to do an externship close to the interview dates during 4th year (that is if you do a good job). They'll remember you better and you will be making a good impression right before the decisions are made.

I just emailed the folks at Minnesota and they said that theyve closed their externship program :eek: Is this even possible? Especially for a reputable 4 year program like Minnesota??

Can anyone verify or comment?

Maxillicious said:
I just emailed the folks at Minnesota and they said that theyve closed their externship program :eek: Is this even possible? Especially for a reputable 4 year program like Minnesota??

Can anyone verify or comment?
The only reason I can come up for this is that the Univ. of MN OMFS externship program was completely ran by their recently resigned Residency Director. Now that a new Residency Director is installed in his place, she may be restructuring the program. Externship opportunities may be temporarily suspended at this time.

Don't know who you emailed, but I would email directly to Dr. Swift (Chair) to see what he has to say about your opportunity to extern there. Univ. of MN OMFS externship program was pretty much covering the predoc dental student OMFS rotation during vacation periods when Univ of MN dental students are out. Since Univ. MN's dental student are out on vacation, they have dental students from other schools ("externs") to come in for that period to cover their predoc OMFS clinic.

Another possibility that the externship program maybe put "on-hold" is that they are waiting for the Gophers Football to reach the Rosebowl one of these years! We haven't been Big Ten Champions for a long time and the OMFS department is sick of it! :smuggrin: We will, however, beat the Hawkeyes this weekend and bring home the "bacon"! :thumbup: