How do I improve upon a 29? Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korters

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So far I've gone over ALL the Kaplan review information, and am now currently taking practice tests and awaiting my May 1st test day. I've taken 5 full length practice tests from e-mcat and while I started off at a 22 my score seems to be stuck in the high 20s (I got a 22, 24, 27, 28, and 29). I've been taking 1 full length per week and have been going over the answers during the rest of the week. However, I seem to be stuck in the high 20s. Any suggestions for improvement? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, Kaplan is just good for access to their practice FL tests and the AAMC tests. It seems like if your scoring in the mid 20s your having issues with content. Kaplan is probably the worst company for content review. I would try and switch to either Berkeley Review or TPR Hyperlearning for a solid foundation, and Examkrackers for a slight refresher (but their Verbal and Bio are the best out there).

Honestly, Kaplan is just good for access to their practice FL tests and the AAMC tests. It seems like if your scoring in the mid 20s your having issues with content. Kaplan is probably the worst company for content review. I would try and switch to either Berkeley Review or TPR Hyperlearning for a solid foundation, and Examkrackers for a slight refresher (but their Verbal and Bio are the best out there).

Yea..KP verbal is pretty good. Once you get the hang of their reading system its easy to understand why. "Structure rather than content". I agree also with the struggle on subject material. My main issue rather was with focus and adapting to the CBT format. Make sure you're ok with those aspects as well. :thumbup:

Yea..KP verbal is pretty good. Once you get the hang of their reading system its easy to understand why. "Structure rather than content". I agree also with the struggle on subject material. My main issue rather was with focus and adapting to the CBT format. Make sure you're ok with those aspects as well. :thumbup:

Honestly, I completely disagree with their approach to the verbal section. I think its time consuming, causes you to constantly refer back to the passage, and not a good way to answer the questions. This test is very unique in that it is testing your ability to be able to think like a doctor. People who are successful on verbal develop a strong understanding of the main idea and author's purpose and use primarily inferences to answer the questions. Usually, if you can identify a "particular sentence" where you "found" your answer, its more often than not, wrong. Trust me on this, I would say the minority like Kaplan for w/e reason, but the majority of people find EK most helpful on this section.