Overwhelmed by work, MCAT, and class. What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need advice from people who might understand my dilemma. I am MCAT studying currently and just began a 2 month online physics 1 course. It is not difficult so far but so condensed that it's incredibly time consuming--tons of homework questions, videos, multiple labs, discussions, etc. and all of those things are due 3-4 times every week. My MCAT is in May, it is hard to find enough time for MCAT studying after starting this course and I foresee that being true throughout the course, on top of my full time job (4 10 hr shifts in healthcare), sleep, and a moment of time to myself or a walk outside. I could drop physics and take it after the MCAT but before matriculation but studying for the P/C portion will be more difficult I assume but I am unsure of how much more difficult. I have 2 months post physics to study more intensely before my MCAT if I don't drop it. I'm also not sure how helpful physics 1 is for the MCAT, I know basic unit conversions, terminology, and that's about it. I honestly have no idea what to do, I feel like I am sacrificing my studying on the other sections for this physics course, and I am not sure how helpful it will be. I already feel pretty confident on CARS based on my diagnostics FL exam I took. Do I drop physics? I am using the Kaplan books for the subjects besides P/S, AAMC practice questions, and buying Uworld 90 day trial question pack in February. The drop deadline is next week. Any and all opinions are helpful.
P.S. I was unsure of medical school until shortly after graduating college last May so that is why I am taking it post graduation.
 
I totally understand what you're going through, as I had to balance two jobs while preparing for the MCAT myself. My C/P score improved by just doing a lot of practice questions from UW and AAMC, so I think you'll be fine dropping Physics 1 for now and retaking it after the MCAT. Scoring well on the MCAT will likely have a bigger impact on your future than trying to squeeze Physics 1 into your already packed schedule.
 
I'm also not sure how helpful physics 1 is for the MCAT, I know basic unit conversions, terminology, and that's about it. I honestly have no idea what to do, I feel like I am sacrificing my studying on the other sections for this physics course, and I am not sure how helpful it will be.
Physics I is quite important for the MCAT. C/P involves a lot of physics and you are expected to work with vectors, dimensional analysis, free-body diagrams, fluid dynamics, mechanics, thermodynamics, etc