How do I interpret the symbol /

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

How do I intrepret the symbol / in FA? For example:

In the context of ascending cholangitis it is stated that the obstruction that occurs leads to stasis/bacterial overgrowth.

/ means or here, am I supposed to think that it can either lead to stasis OR bacterial overgrowth and never both?

Members don't see this ad.

Stasis can cause bacterial overgrowth (think appendicitis for example). They are saying either or both.

Bacteria is always crawling up the urethra, ureters, bile ducts, etc, but it's the contast movement that washes everything away, preventing bacteria from colonizes these tracts
Thanks Pepe,

Another situation with the slash mark is in the context of this: "For Meckel diverticulum, complications include hematoschezia/melena (less commonly)". Am I going to interpret that hematoschezia is a more common complication than melena or that both hematoschezia and melena are uncommon? Does the parenthesis in other words belong to the word after the slash or does it apply to both?

Another one would be in the context of acute pancreatitis: "Causes include hypercalcemia/hypertriglyceridemia (> 1000 mg/dL)". Once again, does that concentration apply to just triglycerides or both triglycerides and calcium ions?

Thanks Pepe,

Another situation with the slash mark is in the context of this: "For Meckel diverticulum, complications include hematoschezia/melena (less commonly)". Am I going to interpret that hematoschezia is a more common complication than melena or that both hematoschezia and melena are uncommon? Does the parenthesis in other words belong to the word after the slash or does it apply to both?

Another one would be in the context of acute pancreatitis: "Causes include hypercalcemia/hypertriglyceridemia (> 1000 mg/dL)". Once again, does that concentration apply to just triglycerides or both triglycerides and calcium ions?
The parentheses are explaining the word after the slash