How do I know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidterrific

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide which school I should go to, as I got multiple DO acceptances. Can some of you tell me what made you go to your schools, or what I should be looking for in choosing mine?

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congratulations! I admire your dilemma. I'd look at three factors:

> curriculum: will it keep you interested?
> location: will you be happy there?
> cost: might not be a factor

Now a question: When did you interview for the schools you have been accepted to?

Congrats!

I wanted to add...

1. LOCATION (i.e.-local neighborhood)- some schools are in good, safe areas, others might be in places unsafe to walk after dark (especially if you're female)

2. Traffic - now for those of us that only get 1 acceptance (if any) of course this wouldn't matter, but given the choice, you should heavily consider whether you really want to get up every morning at 5am for the next four years, just to be able to find a parking space on campus. This is actually one of the reasons I would decide against one of the schools I've applied to, given the choice! It takes an hour to get a parking space....and another hour to get out of it! That's 2 hours I could be studying or spending with my Hubby!

Remember, you're not just a medical student, you're still human and little things like the above will effect your everyday life and attitude. Personally, if I had to spend an hour trying to look for a parking space, I'd be a LOT more likely to skip class...not something you need to be doing in med-school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I only got into one
biggrin.gif
- but I'm interviewing at three more schools. I interviewed (and got in) at LECOM on Sept 22. I have an interview in Des Moines Oct 26th, one at Nova Oct 23rd, and one in Tulsa on Nov 3rd.

I just wanted to know what to look for in the schools. I'm from Detroit, and go to school there, so safety has never been an issue (I'm just used to it, I guess). I just want to know what makes one school better than another!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

First of all, congrats on your acceptance to LECOM!!!
i have a quick question though, did you have a letter from a DO when you applied there?? I heard that LECOM is one of the schools that only 'recommend' that you have a DO letter ... is this true???

I'm on the LECOM website right now and I'm looking at page 11 of the secondary. It claims an osteopathic physician letter is required.

Funny story, though - while at the interview, there was another kid interviewing with me, when they told him they didn't get his DO letter yet, to which he replied: "oh, I'll get it to you." And he was already being interviewed.

Hope it helps - good luck!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Page ELEVEN of the secondary???????!!!!!! Good Grief!
smile.gif

Kidterrific

Yep, you're right!! i guess it is required afterall, BTW, may i ask how you got your letter??? ... did you shadow a DO for an extensive amount of time??, or were you lucky enough to get one just by a single interview with a DO??
if you shadowed a DO in a single practice setting, what did you do?? ... did you just sit next to the DO and watch + listen to every patient that he deals with or were you more like the office worker type, filing files + getting indirect contact with the DO??
Thanks for your response in advance + Best of luck in Med School!!!

No problem - if you have anymore questions, PLEASE feel free to email me. I love helping out hopefuls (since it's my third time applying, I know how ****ty it can be).

I worked at a hospital for about three years in Radiology. There was a DO who worked there who needed help with a computer program one day, and I helped him out while working with him for about two weeks. When I was considering DO, I called him up, bought him lunch, and asked EVERY QUESTION I COULD POSSIBLY COME UP WITH. It took about two hours. I felt I got to know him really well.

Two weeks later, I emailed him asking for a letter of rec, and he told me he'd be honored. So I got really lucky, and since I worked with him for that short amount of time, he got a view of my work ethics.

I have friends who shadowed DO's. They told me that they basically followed them around and helped where they could (one friend was asked to draw blood, since he was proficient in that kind of stuff). Other friends sat there and absorbed everything. The trick is to make sure you ask a million questions. Most DO's, or any doctor for that matter, love to explain things to people that are shadowing (that's what it's there for!). It puts the patient at ease, and makes everything look more professional, in my opinion. But most important, it gives the DO an idea of just how interested you are in the profession. Don't act like you're doing it for the letter, be sincere (consider it practice for the interview!). Just don't be afraid to ask everything that's on your mind (as long as it's nothing like 'I heard DOs suck, is that true?'). Even though it's a dilemma you might be dealing with, it may come off as self absorbed, and no DO wants to see their profession muddled with people who don't care. Save those questions for the discussion boards.

After you spend a week with them, and get to know them by asking questions, I think it's not too much to ask for a letter. Since they know your intent (and had to scrounge for a letter back in their day), they should't have a problem helping you out. The more questions you ask, the more they get insight into your motivation, and the EASIER it is for THEM to write you the letter - they have more positive things to say.

Best of luck to you - you (and everyone else)are in the prayers.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Kid,
Glad to hear you have gotten some interviews. I noticed you have one at OSU-COM in Tulsa on Nov. 3. I am a first year here at OSU-COM so if you have any questions about anything, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help. See ya,

Dr. B