• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

AspiringDoctor0

Apr 29, 2012
Status (Visible)
Your cGPA is pretty strong for a lot of schools, but like you said, you need to bring up that sGPA to be competitive. 100+ hours shadowing is great (almost overkill), but if you haven't shadowed more than 1 or 2 types of docs, I recommend trying to observe a couple more to get a broader perspective.
I would also recommend volunteering in the ER for 100+ hours (if you have the time), as well as in the general community (e.g. a soup kitchen) because volunteering is definitely something adcoms look for on resumes.

About the Ads

AspiringDoctor0

Apr 29, 2012
Status (Visible)
Thank you for your response. I've done volunteering in a soup kitchen for about 50 hours during undergrad. Do you think I should be ok with that? I've shadowed an otolaryngologist (in clinic and surgery), an oral maxillofacial surgeon, a dentist (just to see), a pediatric oncologist, an anesthesiologist and a GI surgeon, but I will definitely try to broaden that. Thank you for the ER advice, I will definitely try to set something up :)

Yes, 50 hours is a good amount of experience. How long was your research experience? If you haven't done anything substantial (eg a URE) and you're not applying within the next year, you should consider working for one of your professors on research over the summer.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.