MD & DO How do I look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHSH_RNtoMD

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.First a little background about myself:
I have been working full time as a nurse since I graduated with my BSN in 2016. When I became comfortable with my job I decided I wanted to do more and enrolled in courses for summer 2017. I became complacent in nursing school and got the passing minimum. I have since realized that a lot of information i deemed unimportant I am having to relearn on my own. Learning from my prior mistakes I have been the top 1-2 scorer in all my classes after returning to school.

My current stats: (also not sure if it matters, in nursing school 80-83 is a C+ which is why my GPA tanked)

-cGPA-3.30
-sGPA-3.53
-Post-Bacc GPA 3.96 (bio1,2; orgo1,2; phys1,2; calc)
-MCAT: 493(123/124/124/122);504 (125/127/127/125)
-RN hours (only experience no research)- >4000 hours
-LOR's - 2 MD's that have high opinions of me
-1 nursing teacher and orgo + bio teachers which both liked me

Also on the note of the MCAT when I originally took it I essentially when in to get a score so that I could apply (on 2 weeks of studying, no practice test [big mistake]). While this might have been a mistake I didn't expect having physics 5 days a week to be as draining as it was. I had to focus on my physics class as a big part of my post-bacc argument to adcoms was that I am now a top performer in my classes. After getting my score back I studied for 3 more weeks and was able to improve to a 504 (received Oct23).

I sent out most of my applications after the first score came back Aug 16. I finished all secondaries within a day of receiving them. I also realize that as far as II's go that if I hear anything back it will be late because of my recently improved MCAT score.

Current schools applied to:
IS (SC)
--MUSC
--USC(columbia)
--USC-Greenville
--AU (MCG)
+DO
--VCOM (SC)
OOS
--Morehouse
--Saint Louis
--Oklahoma
-- New mexico (R)
-- LSU (R)
+DO
-PCOM (multiple campuses)
-VCOM (Auburn)
-Nova
-LECOM
-CUSOM

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chances MD around 35%, DO about 60%, if I were to pull numbers out of my ass. You're late in the cycle though, so I'd add more DO schools if you want this to be one and done, as you have a solid DO app, and a few more MD schools if you want to improve those hail Mary odds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
White, and ive been considering more DO. As far as I've read its to late for any more MD apps. Also I'm open to any recommendations DO or MD wise. Also thanks to both of you.

I would take out Morehouse unless you have shown dedication and activities serving URM in need. I know it is too late but LSU was a donation from the beginning. I think overall your list isn't that bad. If you were going to add more schools add some of the newer DO schools.

Lol yeah ill look at some, LSU does there Post-bac GPA's differently that is why I tried applying there.

Lol yeah ill look at some, LSU does there Post-bac GPA's differently that is why I tried applying there.
Understandable but LSU i think takes upward to about over 80% IS applicants. Out of state applicants rarely get in.

Try adding DO schools like : Touro (harlem)
Also try and throw and app to some MDs like: Wayne State, NOVA

Last edited:
So just an update, I finished my last class Biochem with an A. This leaves me with 32 credits Post-bac for a 3.99.

Very late in the cycle to add schools but I’m fairly unfamiliar with the DO cycle-i would start looking into the next cycle and more ways to improve your app