How do I make myself look better on paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

metacarpal

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long story short, I'm poor. My parents although working full time needed help taking care of my siblings and I so I had to work full time in college. I failed general chemistry 2 and got a D+ general physics 1. I previously took general physics 1 and withdrew so there's also a W on my transcript. I took physics 3 times. That's only because I was going to switch majors. I was originally a chemistry major and at my school chemistry majors take a "harder" general physics class. I was going to go into biochemistry but I ended up changing my mind. I stopped working after the F and retook those two classes and got an A in both. I recently graduated college (literally last weekend). I have an overall 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA because my school does grade substitutions. I have yet to take the MCAT. I've done 300+ hours volunteering in hospice care, I'm a licensed practical nurse, I've done some EMT work, and I have also done some shadowing. I'm scared that no medical school will even consider me because of the W, D+, and F on my transcript. I don't plan on applying to med school yet. I'm 20 and I want to make myself look better on paper because right now, I look horrible. I don't want to sell a sob story in my personal statement because I don't have an excuse (I also know that it wouldn't work). Tons of college students work full time and don't fail classes. I would get a masters if it would help but from what I heard, it doesn't. I do have a couple of research opportunities lined up for me later this year. Sadly, this is the only thing I want to do with my life and I feel like i've failed myself. Besides the research and doing exceptionally well on the MCAT, what else can I do to sell myself?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long story short, I'm poor. My parents although working full time needed help taking care of my siblings and I so I had to work full time in college. I failed general chemistry 2 and got a D+ general physics 1. I previously took general physics 1 and withdrew so there's also a W on my transcript. I took physics 3 times. That's only because I was going to switch majors. I was originally a chemistry major and at my school chemistry majors take a "harder" general physics class. I was going to go into biochemistry but I ended up changing my mind. I stopped working after the F and retook those two classes and got an A in both. I recently graduated college (literally last weekend). I have an overall 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA because my school does grade substitutions. I have yet to take the MCAT. I've done 300+ hours volunteering in hospice care, I'm a licensed practical nurse, I've done some EMT work, and I have also done some shadowing. I'm scared that no medical school will even consider me because of the W, D+, and F on my transcript. I don't plan on applying to med school yet. I'm 20 and I want to make myself look better on paper because right now, I look horrible. I don't want to sell a sob story in my personal statement because I don't have an excuse (I also know that it wouldn't work). Tons of college students work full time and don't fail classes. I would get a masters if it would help but from what I heard, it doesn't. I do have a couple of research opportunities lined up for me later this year. Sadly, this is the only thing I want to do with my life and I feel like i've failed myself. Besides the research and doing exceptionally well on the MCAT, what else can I do to sell myself?
A few bad grades early on will not keep adcomms from considering you. Upward grade trends are meaningful.

What is your cGPA and BCPM GPA with the D+ and F incorporated? When AMCAS calculates your application GPAs, they will be included. But so will any postbac grades you earn at a local community college to improve your stats. (The W isn't going to hurt you.)

Edit: here is a good downloadable AMCAS GPA calculator if you don't k now how to do it by hand: http://honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls
 
Last edited: