How do I make myself look better on paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metacarpal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm poor. My parents although working full time needed help taking care of my siblings and I so I had to work full time in college. I failed general chemistry 2 and got a D+ general physics 1. I previously took general physics 1 and withdrew so there's also a W on my transcript. I took physics 3 times. That's only because I was going to switch majors. I was originally a chemistry major and at my school chemistry majors take a "harder" general physics class. I was going to go into biochemistry but I ended up changing my mind. I stopped working after the F and retook those two classes and got an A in both. I recently graduated college (literally last weekend). I have an overall 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA because my school does grade substitutions. I have yet to take the MCAT. I've done 300+ hours volunteering in hospice care, I'm a licensed practical nurse, I've done some EMT work, and I have also done some shadowing. I'm scared that no medical school will even consider me because of the W, D+, and F on my transcript. I don't plan on applying to med school yet. I'm 20 and I want to make myself look better on paper because right now, I look horrible. I don't want to sell a sob story in my personal statement because I don't have an excuse (I also know that it wouldn't work). Tons of college students work full time and don't fail classes. I would get a masters if it would help but from what I heard, it doesn't. I do have a couple of research opportunities lined up for me later this year. Sadly, this is the only thing I want to do with my life and I feel like i've failed myself. Besides the research and doing exceptionally well on the MCAT, what else can I do to sell myself?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short, I'm poor. My parents although working full time needed help taking care of my siblings and I so I had to work full time in college. I failed general chemistry 2 and got a D+ general physics 1. I previously took general physics 1 and withdrew so there's also a W on my transcript. I took physics 3 times. That's only because I was going to switch majors. I was originally a chemistry major and at my school chemistry majors take a "harder" general physics class. I was going to go into biochemistry but I ended up changing my mind. I stopped working after the F and retook those two classes and got an A in both. I recently graduated college (literally last weekend). I have an overall 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA because my school does grade substitutions. I have yet to take the MCAT. I've done 300+ hours volunteering in hospice care, I'm a licensed practical nurse, I've done some EMT work, and I have also done some shadowing. I'm scared that no medical school will even consider me because of the W, D+, and F on my transcript. I don't plan on applying to med school yet. I'm 20 and I want to make myself look better on paper because right now, I look horrible. I don't want to sell a sob story in my personal statement because I don't have an excuse (I also know that it wouldn't work). Tons of college students work full time and don't fail classes. I would get a masters if it would help but from what I heard, it doesn't. I do have a couple of research opportunities lined up for me later this year. Sadly, this is the only thing I want to do with my life and I feel like i've failed myself. Besides the research and doing exceptionally well on the MCAT, what else can I do to sell myself?
A few bad grades early on will not keep adcomms from considering you. Upward grade trends are meaningful.

What is your cGPA and BCPM GPA with the D+ and F incorporated? When AMCAS calculates your application GPAs, they will be included. But so will any postbac grades you earn at a local community college to improve your stats. (The W isn't going to hurt you.)

Edit: here is a good downloadable AMCAS GPA calculator if you don't k now how to do it by hand: http://honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls

Last edited: