Medical How do I move forward while waiting to hear back from other medical schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waiting on two medical schools to get back to me and I already got accepted into two. The other two im waiting on are my preferred choices but have not gotten back to me yet. The school I got accepted to (which i will be going to if i dont hear back from the other two schools) has already offered me a financial aid package. However, the first half of the tuition is due soon.

My question is if i accept the financial aid package from the school I am accepted to and one of the schools that I prefer going to accepts me. What happens to my financial aid package if I give up the seat at the school? Will I still be responsible for the loan I drew out?

first half of the tuition is due soon

FIRST HALF?! That's something I have not seen before TBH. I'm curious as to which school. If you're comfortable letting us know, please do. If not, that's okay, OR it can be removed later without anyone seeing except the verified experts.

As for responsibility. Yes, if you take out a loan, you are responsible no matter who, what, where, how, or when it is utilized. With that said, you'd need to find out from the school (possibly in the website FAQs) if there is a time period for a full refund. This can be iffy. Normally deposits are non-refundable even though they go toward tuition, but the tuition payments themselves are refundable up to a certain % at a given time. The school I attended usually allowed a 100% refund through the first week or so, 75% refund after 1 month, 50% around half way, and after that, no refunds. Since this will be prior to school starting, theoretically, 100% refund should be allowed, but if it's classified as a deposit, this may not be the case.

Contact the school directly to find out.

I hope you find out from at least one of those two schools sooner than later. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

1) You need to decide on ONE school very soon. You don't tell us if you have one MD and one DO, in which case theoretically the rules are a little more cloudy since MD and DO processes don't talk with each other (unless that's changed recently).

2) The first-half of tuition due soon... define "Soon". At my program, it was certainly due within the month prior to orientation, but people who wound up getting off the waitlist within that period had a little more time. The problem of course is that if you wind up not going to that school, that package ultimately cancels because you are not attending that program. I'm not in financial aid, so I don't know exactly how that mechanism works, so you need a different expert who knows more about how graduate loans work.

Soon meaning in about two weeks. And Yeah I’ve narrowed down my schools a lot. I had February interviews and was supposed to hear back by now. But I’m guessing the COVID-19 Pandemic is overwhelming admissions department of schools so the process is taking longer than usual.
Actually I wouldn't think that this pandemic is really overwhelming communication to admissions offices at all. They do want to get their classes finalized soon and work on onboarding everyone for matriculation at this time. It just depends on when the admissions committee meets to deliberate on files, and that should be doable with online meetings now.

I see so it's a factor of they aren't slowed down. The file just hasn't been reviewed yet. I assume the same for students who interviewed well before me and haven't heard back either.
I dont know about the specific process but it is reasonable to think that is the issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.