How do i pass the boards next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an extension to take the board exam due to illness. I no doubt failed. I failed the year prior too. Graduated in 15. My BE period is running out. I did Clive and Spiegel like 6 or 7 times. BTB. I am way freaking out. I think next year is do or die because of the 5 year BE period, it will run into the fall/winter for 2019 time slot. I studied 16 hours a day for months. The neuro, I am super lacking in. I have neurology for psychiatry, I looked at it, didn't seem specific enough. I saw a class in NY next summer to prep. So many psych questions are vague and subjective or don't provide enough info ie time of symptoms to diagnose. I am open to any suggestions. I am willing to put the work in. As stated in other posts I would rather be doing FP but landing a second residency is unlikely so I need to find a way to pass next year. I am not a great standardized test taker, but I am not a *****.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABPN doesn't recognize BE. After 7 years you have to jump thru hoops and I don't see my 2nd residency helping me out with For jobs and insurance it is 5 years except BC/BS and Medicare currently. I am worried because I studied probably more than anyone on planet earth this year and still didn't pass. I am worried because I don't have a good q book anymore, I did Clive and Spiegel so many times I can look at the question and know the answer. I didn't get the strongest training in residency and my second residency was h#ll on earth. I would love to flip to fp but realistically I don't see that happening, so fine, psych is not the worst thing in the world. I will make the most of it and try to deal with it. But I need to be BC. There were a lot of questions that seemed to have multiple correct answers ie what test to order , I would order all. Anyone would. I don't know what to do that I didn't. I am taking a break until Jan, I am so burned out but then I can study 20 hours a week, I just could use some guidance. I want and need BE.

Why is it that you can’t learn psychiatry and neurology? There was quite little neuro on the board exam this year. You are currently practicing, correct?

I am currently practicing. I am good at the therapy and good with the meds I prescribe. I felt like on psych there were a lot of
trick questions which would you order first? I would order all. I am not a good standardized test taker. I barely passed all steps of the Comlex, got a 28 on the MCAT despite going to a prep class twice and taking extra classes for each section on the MCAT. I didn't sleep more than maybe an hour the night before which didn't help. I read the how to prepare thread and did Clive and Spiegel like 7 times. I did BTB, I put the time in. I feel like I need to start with a more basic book in neuro. I do need some time off I studied so many hours, most days 16 hours. I barely worked. I can put a good 20 hours a week in starting in January. I guess I am asking what other resources should I use? How do I answer the questions when it seems like more than one answer is right? My residency training was not good but I am willing to do whatever it takes to pass next year, I just don't know what that is. I'm not being lazy and saying I just want the pass, I will put the time and effort in, but what or how can I do this more effectively so I do pass? I am humbly and sincerely asking for help.

You never know, may have passed hopefully. I felt it was a difficult exam too. I too also thought, like probably many others spiegal book was good enough...guess will see in December

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Have you read Kaufman's Neurology for Psychiatrists? Its 500 pages and solid for Neuro.

I would also suggest boardvitals exam bank....good questions.

I have Kaufmanns, I SO suck at neuro I feel like I need something more basic first. I have an older edition, does it matter? Kaufmann has a live review course in June, has anyone tried that? I will try boardvitals. What about the many questions where there seems to be more than one right answer? I sincerely appreciate your replies. I am so scared about next year, I have to pass or I wont be BE for insurances or jobs. Other suggestions appreciated too. Thank you.

You never know, may have passed hopefully. I felt it was a difficult exam too. I too also thought, like probably many others spiegal book was good enough...guess will see in December

Good luck
I am guessing this was your first attempt? I HAVE to pass next year. I am FREAKING out. Hoping for a miracle but I failed last year and felt I did better last year than this. Good luck to both of us.

I have Kaufmanns, I SO suck at neuro I feel like I need something more basic first.
Your medical school and residency must have been terrible. How can you be a doctor and yet Kaufman is above your level? People think I’m just being rude when I express concern about the quality of DO schools but this should be illustrative. I feel bad for your situation but the system did not do you any favors.

I have Kaufmanns, I SO suck at neuro I feel like I need something more basic first. I have an older edition, does it matter? Kaufmann has a live review course in June, has anyone tried that? I will try boardvitals. What about the many questions where there seems to be more than one right answer? I sincerely appreciate your replies. I am so scared about next year, I have to pass or I wont be BE for insurances or jobs. Other suggestions appreciated too. Thank you.

Kaplan & Saddock also has a question bank review book...you can get that off amazon easily.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Its just another exam. Doesn't correlate to how good of a psychiatrist you are...

Your medical school and residency must have been terrible. How can you be a doctor and yet Kaufman is above your level? People think I’m just being rude when I express concern about the quality of DO schools but this should be illustrative. I feel bad for your situation but the system did not do you any favors.
Med school seems like forever ago. I did ok in neuro in med school. For family reasons I took a year off in med school and didn't match my first time and then did a TRI prior to my psych residency. And in some ways I guess I felt it wasn't as comprehensive as some of the explanations in Clive and Spiegel. So I don't fault my med school. I learned nothing in my residency training about neuro. And yeah it did sound kinda rude downing all DO schools because of my statement. I am looking for advice and help, not to start a DO vs MD war. The CT readings are way over my head, not something I see ever. I guess the best way to put it are some things were too vague some too dense. I just didn't feel overall it was the right fit for the board but I will do it for next years if needed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan & Saddock also has a question bank review book...you can get that off amazon easily.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Its just another exam. Doesn't correlate to how good of a psychiatrist you are...
Thank you, I have their book but it was DSM IV. It is just imperative that I pass next year.

Thank you all so much. If anyone is a great standardized test taker and knows the key to answering questions that seem to have more than one right answer ie what one test would you order when in reality you order all, I am willing to pay for tutoring next summer. I will do the Clive and Spiegel again. There is a q book for meds, I will do BTB again, I will do the q bank recommended and , read DSM 5, I am iffy on the Kaplan and Sadock because it is DSM IV. I will do the DSM 5 question book as well as the case scenario book, I will do a simpler neuro book and then Kaufmann. I will do focus and likely the live class offered by Kaufman next summer. Last question......... Do I need to read the 2 volume Kaplan and Sadock? I have used it more as a reference. I will pray for the unlikelihood that I somehow passed and if not, I will begin studying in Dec at least 20 hours a week. An added issue is I have ADD and cant tolerate any of the med side effects and have learned to compensate other than board exams . I think sitting and practicing for a whole day several times prior to the exam will help too. I do not so bad the first half and then my concentration is short and I have trouble focusing. I will pray for a miracle, but if not I feel like I have an extensive plan. Thank you all so much. I am very open to other suggestions if anyone has them. Thank you all again for the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.

Thank you all so much. If anyone is a great standardized test taker and knows the key to answering questions that seem to have more than one right answer ie what one test would you order when in reality you order all, I am willing to pay for tutoring next summer. I will do the Clive and Spiegel again. There is a q book for meds, I will do BTB again, I will do the q bank recommended and , read DSM 5, I am iffy on the Kaplan and Sadock because it is DSM IV. I will do the DSM 5 question book as well as the case scenario book, I will do a simpler neuro book and then Kaufmann. I will do focus and likely the live class offered by Kaufman next summer. Last question......... Do I need to read the 2 volume Kaplan and Sadock? I have used it more as a reference. I will pray for the unlikelihood that I somehow passed and if not, I will begin studying in Dec at least 20 hours a week. An added issue is I have ADD and cant tolerate any of the med side effects and have learned to compensate other than board exams . I think sitting and practicing for a whole day several times prior to the exam will help too. I do not so bad the first half and then my concentration is short and I have trouble focusing. I will pray for a miracle, but if not I feel like I have an extensive plan. Thank you all so much. I am very open to other suggestions if anyone has them. Thank you all again for the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.
No. For God's sake, NO.

Find a tutor in your local area that specializes in training people who struggle with standardized tests. I think some focused coaching is going to pay off far more than boring yourself to tears with K&S.

No. For God's sake, NO.

Find a tutor in your local area that specializes in training people who struggle with standardized tests. I think some focused coaching is going to pay off far more than boring yourself to tears with K&S.
Thank God. How do I find a tutor? No one from my first residency program is still there and I had issues with my 2nd program.

Thank God. How do I find a tutor? No one from my first residency program is still there and I had issues with my 2nd program.

He said find someone in your local area...ask around or contact Kaplan/ Princeton review.

A few thoughts:

1 - You don't know if you failed, unless you just stopped the test and didn't answer questions. There's still hope, I would think. If you did fail,
2 - For neurology I would focus on high-yield information first. I broke out my Step 1 (or 2, I forget) First Aid review book for the USMLE for neurology and made sure all of that information was down cold. It's written in a brief format that can be read and re-read.
3 - Practice questions tend to be much more useful than textbooks, in my experience. I would do the popular practice question books more than once each.
4 - Audio of review information is your friend. It can turn commuting time, exercise time, etc. into lighter study time.

Is this a knowledge deficit issue, a test anxiety issue, or something else? If test anxiety is the big issue, then practicing questions in timed blocks using the same approach/strategies you will use on test day could help. Also make sure to get enough sleep before the test, bring snacks, and don't overhype the consequences too much. Find out from your employer what their policy would be about not passing boards, and find out where you can work without being BC/BE in order to avoid sensationalizing the consequences for being unable to pass. I also like the idea of finding a tutor, though I'm not sure where to find one. Maybe check around for other comparable tests (LSAT, Law Boards, GRE, Step Exams, etc.) to see if there are tutors who specialize in testing issues?

Finally, if you believe some condition such as ADHD or an affective disorder is driving the failure, you could request accommodations. It might not get you anywhere, but could be worth considering.

It is untreated ADHD- can not tolerate the side effects of meds- severe anxiety with psychostimulants severe depressive symptoms with Straterra, test anxiety and neuro deficiency. I currently have a small private practice but currently if you are not BE/BC only Blue Cross and Medicare will take you if not BC in 5 years. I couldn't sleep weeks before more than a few hours despite sleep meds. I lost a good 40 lbs, I was sick to my stomach for months, and got little sleep the night prior. I worry that asking for special accomodations, they would lower my score. I have a very difficult time with the last half of the exam,I get antsy and my concentration dwindles. In other situations I have developed strategies to cope but 8-9 hours of testing is a lot. I tried CBT for the MCAT and it didn't help. I admit I have issues and am in psychoanalysis for that. I found the biggest problem with psych to be material that was on the exam that was not covered in books I studied from. I wish I could post the questions I recall, but for confidentialy disclosure I can't. GREAT idea on studying USLME books for neuro. And I think someone to teach me test taking strategies. How to pick the right answer when many seem right. I just need a tutor. I did sit for the whole exam. I moonlight and am on every list for jobs and they all say BC/BE. Some are just BC. Thanks this was useful. I need to manage my test anxiety and bone up on the neuro and get a tutor.

I am guessing this was your first attempt? I HAVE to pass next year. I am FREAKING out. Hoping for a miracle but I failed last year and felt I did better last year than this. Good luck to both of us.

Yes it is my first time taking this test. Think of this way you made this far with severe anxiety, through medical school, residency and USMLEs. This board exam, would be nice to pass....but it's not as important as the hurdles you went through already. The hurdles that you definitely needed to pass to make a living, you already did. The mentality you have now of must pass or the world is over.../that you severely lack knowledge--is blown out of porportion in my opinion (otherwise wouldn't have made it through med school, residency, oral exams, usmles ) ...

Even if you feel your med school sucked, your residency sucked, oral exam they passed everyone---which I highly doubt all 3 could be like that. You did pass standardized all parts of USMLE.

This is beyond the board exam, I hope you are putting more time in with your psychiatrist/therapist. In my humble opinion your perception is crippling you. You made it this far, you will make it through the boards too, if it's this time or next time

I feel the pain and anxiety through your comments, I truly hope you pass it this time around

Reactions: 1 users
Yes it is my first time taking this test. Think of this way you made this far with severe anxiety, through medical school, residency and USMLEs. This board exam, would be nice to pass....but it's not as important as the hurdles you went through already. The hurdles that you definitely needed to pass to make a living, you already did. The mentality you have now of must pass or the world is over.../that you severely lack knowledge--is blown out of porportion in my opinion (otherwise wouldn't have made it through med school, residency, oral exams, usmles ) ...

Even if you feel your med school sucked, your residency sucked, oral exam they passed everyone---which I highly doubt all 3 could be like that. You did pass standardized all parts of USMLE.

This is beyond the board exam, I hope you are putting more time in with your psychiatrist/therapist. In my humble opinion your perception is crippling you. You made it this far, you will make it through the boards too, if it's this time or next time

I feel the pain and anxiety through your comments, I truly hope you pass it this time around

Im in anaysis and have been for a long time. I feel like BE makes or breaks me as far as jobs and insurances i can take. Next year if i don't pass im not BE for jobs or insurance except 2 in mich even cmh or prison. The anxiety will be overwhelming next year. I will apply for special accommodations for my ADHD and see if I can take half 1 day and the other half day 2. I like my therapist.

I recommend the Beat the Boards review course, I've done them for a couple different subjects now and they're not great but they're pretty thorough, you can go in person, watch streaming videos, or listen to the audio track of the lectures, plus you get the syllabus to download and a question bank. If you go through the material 3 or 4 different ways, some of it will stick. There's usually a thread every year of residents banding together to order with a group discount, that saves you some money as well.
My personal technique for heavy-duty studying is to take an iPad to the gym and study on a cardio machine -- the physical exertion really helps me focus.
Also, see if you can find a study partner for a least some of the time -- you sound very nervous and isolated and it's making everything harder.

Edit: Also, if you're in practice, you can incorporate studying into patient care -- review DSM 5 criteria for every diagnosis you make, practice some neuro exam stuff on patients with comorbid conditions, etc. Information that is learned in a specific pain care situation is much more salient and thus much more likely to be permanently learned than stuff you just read in a book.

Reactions: 3 users
I did BTB and you can keep taking it until you pass. I am anxious and being treated for it. I have ADD and can't tolerate the meds so I have to study at home. I don't really know anyone locally studying for it since I graduated in 2015 and do mainly private practice, I would be open to that. I diagnosed NPH in a patient which was missed in the ER, inpatient and psych floor, well I sent her to a neuro. I also picked up Parkinsons and sent that patient to a neuro. I know the major neuro disorders but not where they come from well, Parksinsons I do... The idea about DSM review is a good one.
If anyone is SE Mich is looking for a study partner, let me know :). I am also going to apply for special accomodations next year due to my ADHD, I have an impossible time during the second half- my concentration crashes big time. Ideally if I could take half one day and the other half the next day, that would make a difference. I need to figure a way to do better on standardized exams. They have never been my forte to say the least. Individual exams I am on with, but MCAT and all steps of the COMLEX.......... Thanks for the suggestions.

I did BTB and you can keep taking it until you pass. I am anxious and being treated for it. I have ADD and can't tolerate the meds so I have to study at home. I don't really know anyone locally studying for it since I graduated in 2015 and do mainly private practice, I would be open to that. I diagnosed NPH in a patient which was missed in the ER, inpatient and psych floor, well I sent her to a neuro. I also picked up Parkinsons and sent that patient to a neuro. I know the major neuro disorders but not where they come from well, Parksinsons I do... The idea about DSM review is a good one.
If anyone is SE Mich is looking for a study partner, let me know :). I am also going to apply for special accomodations next year due to my ADHD, I have an impossible time during the second half- my concentration crashes big time. Ideally if I could take half one day and the other half the next day, that would make a difference. I need to figure a way to do better on standardized exams. They have never been my forte to say the least. Individual exams I am on with, but MCAT and all steps of the COMLEX.......... Thanks for the suggestions.

If you are looking for a Skype partner let me know. I plan on taking my boards next year.

Honestly, I think you should just wait till you get bet your score before you start freaking out. You never know you may have passed the test.

Worse come to worse, open a cash-only practice. I did, and no one has asked if I’m BE/BC.
I don't understand how people do that. I take insurance, 4 of them, working on more and can't fill. I do therapy and meds. I always need a locums job to make ends meet. I get referrals from existing patients and some find me online, I have a 5 star rating on one of those healthgrades and get patients that way and some referrrals from a hospital where I used to moonlight weekends.
Regardless, I WANT to be BC. 80 percent or so pass it. I should be able to pass like most. Job wise I don't want any doors closed because of this stupid exam and also for me, I want to pass. My psychoanalyst/shrink isn't BC, he passed the written not the oralsx2 , he did cash Blue Cross and Medicare and he is considering trying again and he is like almost 60. He couldn't sustain a private practice and I have no idea how but he found a clinic to hire him and let him do med management and therapy not being BC. I am praying that I eeked by and holding onto that. IF not I will do the q bank mentioned, redo BTB and Clive and Spiegel and do neuro for psychiatry go to the seminar in NY by Kaufman in the summer and do other question books. I will put in the time from Jan until Sept 20 hours a week minimum. I NEED to pass this for personal and professional reasons. Praying big that I passed this year somehow.

Marketing and developing relationships is how to open a PP. Plus also being priced competitively to make your practice attractive. Your business plan will also need to make sense - will you partner with therapists or other shrinks to reduce OH costs? Perhaps open up shop with a PCP?

Negative thinking is the only thing holding one back. It won't be easy and is very anxiety provoking, but also can be liberating.

If you are looking for a Skype partner let me know. I plan on taking my boards next year.

Honestly, I think you should just wait till you get bet your score before you start freaking out. You never know you may have passed the test.
Im trying 2 be patient and am praying. Im up for a skype study partner if I didn't pass. Ty

What about the masterpsych course by krasuski

mber: 262127"]What about the masterpsych course by krasuski[/QUOTE]
Is it different than btb? I was scheduled to go to the conference thos year but didnt go so I could study.