How do I prepare for the DAT with 8 year old science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voltage003

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To everyone who has successfully completed the DAT how did you study?

Highly recommend checking out some of the breakdowns on SDN. There's a collection that's stickied onto the DAT Discussions main page. You can find mine in my signature. People who use DAT Destroyer + Math Destroyer + PATBooster seem to get the best bang for their buck in terms of both savings and scores.

I have not taken Organic Chemistry I or II yet.

Can't say I recommend taking the DAT before taking orgo, but if you do, you'll need to use a supplemental organic chemistry teaching resource I imagine. I've heard the Organic Chemistry Odyssey is great for that purpose.

I am thinking about using the IPREP and Chads videos for organic chemistry and to refresh my general chemistry. Is anyone familiar with IPREP?

No clue about iPrep. People have asked about it before but no one has reported back with a score (good or otherwise), so I would stay away for it if only for that reason alone. There's free organic chemistry videos on YouTube that help a ton, from professor lectures to the Orgoman free videos. Those were plenty for me in addition to my textbook from when I took the course.

Any advise and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure the schools you will apply to accept pre-req credits that are as old as yours are. I believe some schools have a 4 year period where they are good, but I can't tell you for sure. Best way to know is to call the schools directly.

Best of luck! It's a hard exam, but with the right preparation it's more than manageable.

Have you considered being a CRNA? Seems like a pretty cool gig. Low responsibility compared to MD anesthesia and great pay.

If you’re serious about dentistry, then chads and destroyer are pretty much all you need for the DAT. Bootcamp is good too.

Reactions: 1 user
Chads videos for GC and OC. For biology I recommend Bootcamp's Biology academy and notes. These are the best sources for DAT science sections and you'd be paying $0. Skip DAT destroyer for now cause it only tests you and doesn't do much else, its a better fit if you're about a month away from the exam and/or have already built a solid foundation in science classes. Hope this help!

To everyone who has successfully completed the DAT how did you study? I would like to take the DAT this summer. I have not taken Organic Chemistry I or II yet. My Biology I, Bio II, Gen Chem I and II, A&P I and A&P II courses are 8 years old. How should I go about preparing for the DAT? Should I retake my biology and anatomy courses and wait to take organic chemistry before taking the DAT? I am thinking about using the IPREP and Chads videos for organic chemistry and to refresh my general chemistry. Is anyone familiar with IPREP? My top schools are Howard, Meharry, Tufts and Temple. Currently my cumulative is 3.4 and my science GPA is 3.4. This would by my second career. I am currently a Crital Care Registered Nurse with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Nursing. Any advise and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

I do not recommend taking the DAT before taking Organic 1 and 2. My opinion is that you will be at a disadvantage. I can point you towards some good organic chemistry courses that would give you a great foundation for the DAT.

The issue with older science courses is that you might have forgotten some concepts--this is the from perspective of the admissions committee. Retaking older science courses is not a bad idea since you will (most likely) get a higher grade than what you obtained previously.