How do I proceed from now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkif586

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Unfortunately, I had a very rough start of the semester due to a serious car accident where I was hurt. I talked to all my professors and all but one allowed me to reschedule first exam and extended deadlines for homework. However, one professor didn't allow to do so, which resulted in terrible start of the class, next day I was discharged from hospital I had 1st exam and I think I did roughly 20/100 on that test, as you understand there is now way I can get higher than B+ now. Probably will get C+ or something since this is a hard science class. I have 2 options now - withdraw and retake it over the summer OR get that C+ (may be B) and move on. What do you folks suggest? I am afraid to withdraw because it will be 2nd W in a raw (I had 1 W last semester) and could be a red flag (am I overthinking this?)
Regards

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ws =\= F

Ws exist for reasons such as this. Contact your school as some programs offer retroactive medical withdrawals as well.

I had 4 Ws myself, don’t sweat it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The one situation where the W is suspect is when one has a 4.0 or 3.99 and an average of 1 W per semeser. That begins to look like GPA protection which can be interpreted as being the result of perfectionist tendencies.

But, I agree that a W due to a serious injury or illness resulting in missed classes is completely explanable and acceptable.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I have 3 Ws on my transcript I think? Switched majors so dropped 2 classes from the old major and then dropped a Spanish class a year later because I had actually validated it and didn’t realize. Hasn’t hurt me at all. Relax.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll add, many schools have a specific section in their secondaries that allow for you to explain any low grades or withdrawals.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user