NEED ADVICE FOR APPLICATION - How should I proceed this semester for successful cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

from_eden

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my 3rd gap year (graduated 2020). I was in JAMP but did not matriculate through the program (personal reasons…I know I wasted a good opportunity but I am definitely committed to being better and working hard). During my gap years I’ve been working, doing research (2 publications), medical volunteering (w/ individuals with special health needs).

I need help deciding what to do this semester to do well this upcoming cycle.

Current Schedule:
  • Currently working as a medical scribe (20hrs/week)
  • Doing research (1 publication, and another pending)
  • The reason for so few work hours is to study for the MCAT which I plan on retaking in March. I feel more confident this time around and have scored 509/512 Next Step and 514 on AAMC (I know it's not necessarily representative of Test Day but at least it’s an upward trend).
  • Dedicating time each week to improving Personal Statement/Secondary essays
  • Volunteer 1-2x a month at weekend retreats/organizations for people with special medical needs
  • Planning on shadowing soon because apparently some schools differentiate between shadowing and clinical hours (even though scribing is shadowing w/ more responsibilities)

Main Dilemma:

I don’t know if I should take classes this semester in addition to other activities. The reason my Graduate GPA is so low is because as a sophomore I took two graduate classes and got a B and C. In Spring 2022 I took two graduate classes as a “Post-Bacc” and got A’s which brought it up slightly.

Should I sign up for a few science courses to continue improving my GPA? The only thing is I don’t want to take time away from MCAT (and it’s also kinda costly even to just take a few courses). As it is, work, research, and volunteering take a lot of my time but I can try to take at least 1-2 classes to continue working GPA as well. Another option would be to aim for a really solid MCAT score and then maybe take summer classes (though this can be complicated with summer work/volunteering).

I would really appreciate advice on this and on anything else I can do to be a better applicant. Thanks!

STATS​

MCAT: 506 (retaking in March)
Undergrad GPA: 3.61
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.50
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.83
Graduate Total GPA: 3.36
Graduate BCPM GPA: 3.36
Post-Bac GPA: 0.00 (TMDSAS counted my post-bac grades as graduate courses despite being “post-bacc” on transcript)

Members don't see this ad.

Which graduate classes did you take sophomore year?

Your intentions sound plausible. You asked about your job and scheduling before so what specific concerns are left? Just like we discouraged you from taking a second job, do you want to take classes and dilute your MCAT focus? What would you take?

Reactions: 1 user
Which graduate classes did you take sophomore year?

Your intentions sound plausible. You asked about your job and scheduling before so what specific concerns are left? Just like we discouraged you from taking a second job, do you want to take classes and dilute your MCAT focus? What would you take?

Graduate courses Sophomore Year:
  • Anatomy & Physiology/Radiology (for Physician Assistant students): C
  • Molecular Evolution: B
Graduate Courses Spring 2022
  • Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology: A
  • Evolutionary Theory: A
In my view the difference is that unlike the side job at a grocery store, taking a few classes can more directly affect my application through GPA. I was thinking of taking either a graduate course in Developmental Mechanisms and/or an undergrad Anatomy/Physiology course. There's no excuse for poor performance, but my sophomore year I was taking around 18 credit hours and received A's in my undergrad course work. I've really improved my study system since then.

I just feel my GPA really needs work and I wouldn't want it to affect my cycle to the point of having to do an entire Master's degree or Post-Bacc in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate courses Sophomore Year:
  • Anatomy & Physiology/Radiology (for Physician Assistant students): C
  • Molecular Evolution: B
Graduate Courses Spring 2022
  • Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology: A
  • Evolutionary Theory: A
... There's no excuse for poor performance, but my sophomore year I was taking around 18 credit hours and received A's in my undergrad course work. I've really improved my study system since then.
You shouldn't make excuses for poor performance, but I'm surprised that you were allowed to take graduate courses as a sophomore in the first place. Usually that would require some approval from the instructor, an academic advisor, or the chair of the department. You weren't a PA student when you took the A&P class, right? (I don't have your transcript, so if you had a lot of undergrad credit coming in... I'd still have to see that.)

You shouldn't make excuses for poor performance, but I'm surprised that you were allowed to take graduate courses as a sophomore in the first place. Usually that would require some approval from the instructor, an academic advisor, or the chair of the department. You weren't a PA student when you took the A&P class, right? (I don't have your transcript, so if you had a lot of undergrad credit coming in... I'd still have to see that.)

Correct I had specific circumstances that allowed me to get permission. If it's okay with you I can send you my transcript with more details but I don't want to impose either.

I don't think that these would be an issue
To be clear, so you think I would better off not taking classes this semester and focusing on MCAT?

It wasn't just my performance in my graduate courses but my GPA in general that I wanted to show AdComs I am commitment to improving.