Medical How do I report conduct violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently applying to medical schools. GPA 3.5, MCAT 512. Have been scribing for the past year post undergraduate. During my freshman year I got reported by my RA for smoking marijuana. I also self reported the incident to my College and was I placed on conduct probation and did 80 hours community service. No criminal charges were involved.

The application has a section for conduct violations. However my parents and brother do not believe I should report this incident as there it was minor and there is no official record of it. According to my Universities website:
"Records of lower level student conduct action (e.g., written warning, conduct probation) are maintained during the student’s attendance at the University and removed once the student graduates. If the student discontinues enrollment at Butler (e.g., transfers to another institution, drops out) the record is removed five (5) years after the student’s separation from the University."

My question is: is it legitimately in my best interest to withhold that I was placed on conduct probation? It seems that the schools I apply to would only know about the incident because of me mentioning it in the application. And including it seems like it would decrease my chances of getting into school because they would be more likely to go with any other applicant with similar stats.

Follow up: What would be a good approach to including the conduct violation in the application?

Please feel free to DM any information. thanks.
I would ask your University conduct officer (student conduct, judicial board). It is NEVER in your best interest to withhold information even if it is expunged.

Members don't see this ad.

Also agree--don't assume that something is or is not on your transcript, get explicit direction from your university. Given how minor an infraction this is, this is certainly something where the coverup would be worse than the crime.

You're required to report these things even if there is no record.

The infraction is minor; we were young and stupid once too, y'know.

My school has rejected people who withheld infractions but were outed by well meaning LOR writers.

FYI, family members, out of love and ignorance, will do their best to try to sabotage your medical ambitions. Thus, do NOT listen to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.