How do I settle this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chem1o1

Reaction score
So, since I'm a freshman, I've wanted to gain volunteering hours. I've basically "made the impression" to Alpha Phi Omega that I would join their group. I don't want to be a dick and leave because I've already been announced a Big in APO and he wants to get to know me more. I love their dedication to service, but my gut is telling me to leave and join Big Brothers and Sisters of America. I actually enjoy mentoring kids as well as volunteering. Plus, the club doesn't seem to eat up too much time nor "money" (seriously $35?) to pledge. I'm wondering If APO does more than Big Brothers and Sisters in terms of volunteerism (and to slightly bolster my app?) If there are any APO members, my bad. : /

Members don't see this ad.

So, since I'm a freshman, I've wanted to gain volunteering hours. I've basically "made the impression" to Alpha Phi Omega that I would join their group. I don't want to be a dick and leave because I've already been announced a Big in APO and he wants to get to know me more. I love their dedication to service, but my gut is telling me to leave and join Big Brothers and Sisters of America. I actually enjoy mentoring kids as well as volunteering. Plus, the club doesn't seem to eat up too much time nor "money" (seriously $35?) to pledge. I'm wondering If APO does more than Big Brothers and Sisters in terms of volunteerism (and to slightly bolster my app?) If there are any APO members, my bad. : /
Advantages of APO is they know you are a college student and will work around your classes/final exam schedule. Talk to your "Big" and see what kind of choices you have in volunteering.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if there are other ways to volunteer with BBBS, maybe college clubs are different, but as far as I understand they really really want their volunteers to make a significant, long term commitment to the child they are paired with (at least one year, multiple hours a week). Is that something you're prepared to do? That's definitely something that could "eat up" time (although is likely to be well worth the time spent).