Help settle a debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which state is the best to be a resident of for the purpose of medical school admission?

• California

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • New York

Votes: 39 46.4%
  • New Jersey

Votes: 37 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

deleted1027026

So we all know that state schools give preference to in-state applicants. Which state would an applicant have the highest chance of obtaining admission to an in-state MD school?

Edit: this is an argument between me and some buddies of mine. Am aware that there are likely better states to be in for medical school admission purposes besides these 3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not CA

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
as someone from CA, I feel like it's one of the toughest states lol

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the state schools in the south and midwest have in state acceptance rates above 25% IIRC.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the state schools in the south and midwest have in state acceptance rates above 25% IIRC.
I should have specified, am having an argument with some buddies about which state would be the most ideal to live in for med school applications out of these 3. Not which state is the easiest of them all.

NJ might provide the best odds, I believe. But NY has a bunch of schools, and some very good ones. I'd rather be in NY state and have shots at a broader selection of solid schools. CA definitely the worst of the three.

Reactions: 4 users
NJ might provide the best odds, I believe. But NY has a bunch of schools, and some very good ones. I'd rather be in NY state and have shots at a broader selection of solid schools. CA definitely the worst of the three.

Agreed.

I'd write in "Texas" and check that one.
I would argue against this popular misconception. Last year, TX had 32% of applicants matriculate in-state. This is pretty good, but it's still middle of the pack, compared to states like Louisiana, Kentucky, W. Virginia that had >40% in-state matriculation.

But even more importantly, 62% of TX applicants didn't matriculate *anywhere*, the 7th highest no-matriculation rate in the country.

Source, which answers OP question as well: https://www.aamc.org/media/6016/download

Reactions: 1 users