How do I smooth out the pulpal wall/floor in composite preps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obrad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new here.

My school allows us to use inverted cone bur (34) for amalgam preps to smooth out the pulpal wall, but not for composite preps to avoid sharp internal line angles. The only burs allowed for composite preps are 330 and 245. The problem is I have difficulty smoothing the pulpal wall with the 330 due to its rounded tip (as opposed to a flat tipped bur).

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you try using a 330D on slowspeed? That's what I usually do to smooth everything out, whether amalgam or composite (we're only told to use 330 for both, never a 34 so :confused:). I just try to go slow and as evenly as I can and usually it turns out pretty smooth.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you try using a 330D on slowspeed? That's what I usually do to smooth everything out, whether amalgam or composite (we're only told to use 330 for both, never a 34 so :confused:). I just try to go slow and as evenly as I can and usually it turns out pretty smooth.
Thank you. I have never tried using a 330D, so I'll check it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like to use a hoe or hatchet depending on the angle to finish my prep for a grade. A little bit of water in the prep and just running the hoe back and forth on the walls and floor helps me end up with a nice smooth surface. -- I assume you are referring to typodont teeth.

Also depending on the prep, I like to use a 575d since it has a flat tip.

Reactions: 2 users
I like the 56 on the high speed after I use the 330 to make the prep. I use like the same partially blunted 56 to do this cause a fresh one can be very sharp. I dont think ive ever used the slow speed besides polishing like ever. Also the 56 is nice cause sometimes my preps tend to be almost too narrow and you gotta make sure they a little bigger for amalgam. From what I've seen people that use 56 can get super super smooth preps. I still like the 330 cause you know how deep to go and stuff but finishing up with the 56 does the trick for me.

I second hatchet/hoe. But make sure they are SHARP.

Hey everyone. I'm new here.

My school allows us to use inverted cone bur (34) for amalgam preps to smooth out the pulpal wall, but not for composite preps to avoid sharp internal line angles. The only burs allowed for composite preps are 330 and 245. The problem is I have difficulty smoothing the pulpal wall with the 330 due to its rounded tip (as opposed to a flat tipped bur).

Any advice?

Ivorine or real teeth?
On ivorine, if you are only allowed (do they really restrict you to using specific burs, or is it a "strong recommendation"?) to use a 330/245, use a slow speed with a dull diamond version of the 330/245. If you can use whatever bur you want, see if you can use an end cutting 10839 bur and if it'll fit into your prep, you can smooth out the pulpal floor easily. If your prep width is really small, they will have a hard time seeing the rounded nature of your internal line angles and you might as well use a 557/flat end.

On real teeth, don't use a slow speed. Great way to cause pulpitis, it's slow, and lots of uncomfortable vibration compared to a high speed. On real teeth, use a 330 diamond/557 carbide. The smaller the bur, the more you gouge on ivorine or real teeth.

Reactions: 4 users