Resin Composite Filling Class I Occlusal Modeling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ianternet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a D1 student currently struggling with class I resin composite restoration. We need to recreate all the cusps and anatomy of the occlusal surface using packable resin composite on typodont.

I know I have to swipe from composite to tooth structure to create smooth surface but I can't identify where is the margin of the tooth structure and how to angle my flat instrument to get the contour.

When I add the composite, it blocks my view of the cavity margin such that I don't know how much to swipe and how to angle my swiping (see in the picture attached). Then I will end up with excess and deficiency on the occlusal plane. My margin is always smooth because I swipe a lot to make sure it is smooth. But my occlusal plane always have either excess or deficient composite. I suspect it's the angling but I don't know how to correct it.

Please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 283498281_550276609807387_2267111750881696455_n.jpg
    283498281_550276609807387_2267111750881696455_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 63
Instead of a flat instrument, are you using any burnishers (e.g., football and ball) to remove any intial excess resin from the occlusal plane and then smoothen the remaining resin at the cavosurface margins using a small ball burnisher. The anatomy of the central groove and the occlusal pits and fissures can be replicated using an anatomical burnisher that glides inbetween cusps, which will help preserve the integrity of the cusps you’ve built up. It may be more challenging to do this just by angling a flat plastic instrument.

Reactions: 1 user
Like user above said, flat paddle is the way to carve grooves, like a plastic instrument or even an IPC
I mainly draw in the primary anatomy with a plastic instrument thin edge, then I pull the excess composite towards the cusps to build cusp ridges using the flat edge

Members don't see this ad :)
Always move your instrument from the central fossa to the cavosurface margin. Keep an alcohol swab nearby to clean your instrument to prevent sticking.

When I ran into similar situations back in the day, I would peruse YouTube channels and see what they had. A little easier than explaining through words for me.

Here's a link to one that I like

*At the 3 minute mark is when they start working on the occlusal portion of the filling.

*At 7 minute mark is when they start placing the composite.

Burnisher.jpg
Hu Friedy XTS Burnisher will make achieving well defined anatomy in either composite or amalgam a breeze.

Reactions: 1 user