How do I stay awake remedy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone faces this problem esp near exams. How the heck do you all stay awake? Legal or illegal means..fire off all guns

Coffee/tea doesn't work for me.

Anyone tried gingko biloba? Heard it helps

Drugs help too? Stimulants, if so, what type?

Members don't see this ad.

You actually shouldn't deprive yourself of sleep while studying for exams. Studies have shown that your performance on exams is actually improved by studying and sleeping a normal amount rather then forcing yourself to stay up all night to study. Think of sleeping as part of your studying time, it has something to do with your brain organizing the information that you learn during the daytime. Good luck!

hey.. ericdamien..

our university has enough political issues to keep you awake man..
go solve em first la... mwahhaha..

Varblade @ IMU

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kalel
You actually shouldn't deprive yourself of sleep while studying for exams. Studies have shown that your performance on exams is actually improved by studying and sleeping a normal amount rather then forcing yourself to stay up all night to study. Think of sleeping as part of your studying time, it has something to do with your brain organizing the information that you learn during the daytime. Good luck!

Don't put too much weight in that study, i doubt it was done on medical students. Besides, it most likely depends on what kind of exam we're talking about. I agree that if it's physiology, you need some sleep. But for most straight up regurgitation med school tests, I do MUCH better if I stay up later to cram then opposed to getting enough sleep.

Now that ephedra is banned, I'd recommend trying some Red Bull. Or as dave262 mentioned, try scoring some ritalin.

i can shed some light on the medical uppers.. dexadrine is probably the best amphetamine to use to stay awake and it's *fairly* easy to get. and since it isn't a street drug you don't have to worry about serious complications.. i used to have a prescription for it, and many medical students would ask me for it, especially around exams.. i have also heard that dex used to be used by medical students in ridiculous amounts in the past. i guess i would "abuse" it sometimes and pull an all nighter, or take a little more than i was prescribed for the extra motivation and it helped a lot. if you have common sense or a dsm-iv you can get it prescribed to you.. just avoid campus affiliated health centers..

you have to be careful not to use to too often because it can be addictive. as a study aide, you shouldnt have any problems, it's mostly when people use it for enjoyment/social reasons that they do..

Originally posted by U4iA
i can shed some light on the medical uppers.. dexadrine is probably the best amphetamine to use to stay awake and it's *fairly* easy to get. and since it isn't a street drug you don't have to worry about serious complications.. i used to have a prescription for it, and many medical students would ask me for it, especially around exams.. i have also heard that dex used to be used by medical students in ridiculous amounts in the past. i guess i would "abuse" it sometimes and pull an all nighter, or take a little more than i was prescribed for the extra motivation and it helped a lot. if you have common sense or a dsm-iv you can get it prescribed to you.. just avoid campus affiliated health centers..

you have to be careful not to use to too often because it can be addictive. as a study aide, you shouldnt have any problems, it's mostly when people use it for enjoyment/social reasons that they do..

Any side effects? I can get it from some clinic then?
And how long does the effect last? Does it mean that after I take it, I'm wide awake? And the after effects ie. I-Need-Lotsa- Sleep-To-Make-Up-For-The-loss-of-sleep

Study as you go and get your sleep. I can tell the next next morning that my understanding has increased and that my brain has been organizing the material. I tried Ambien once to sleep after studying bec I was wired for a test, and did not feel the same organization had occured. Sleep helps

Haha, that reminds me of a friend of mine who tried Ambien for the same reason. She called me in the middle of the night because she was hallucinating. "I know these people in my room aren't real...." Be careful with that stuff!

dont have the link anymore. but there wasn article not too long ago on cnn.com that talked about some reasearch that showed sleep helped your mind consolidate its memories.

Im guilty of trying to push it too at times, but I think we're better off getting the sleep we need.

try hitting the gym when ur sleepy..

it almost doesnt allow u to sleep for an hour or two ! :p

Originally posted by U4iA
dexadrine is probably the best amphetamine to use to stay awake and it's *fairly* easy to get. and since it isn't a street drug you don't have to worry about serious complications

Be careful with that...fine if you have a script for it, otherwise, be careful. And just because it's not a street drug doesn't mean it can't have harmful side effects (e.g. ephedra, which you can actually still buy for another 2-3 weeks).

Anyone who uses amphetamines is asking for trouble. They're addictive, and long term use causes damage to the substantia nigra, increasing the risk of Parkinson's and tons of other things. Stick with caffeine or methylphenidate.

Take a short nap (less than 15 min)

Doesn't help? Do exercise for 10min when you still feel sleepy.

No medication required. Simple and effective. :cool:

A very bright white light with maximum wattage........Go buy one that makes it daytime during the night.........and lots of Mt. Dew. Dr. Pepper diet or regular, regular with harcore crunch time.......